Long Term Missing Person's, recovered Human remains & Yowies

This board is open for discussion on the Australian Yowie, Bigfoot, Yeti & Sasquatch. Please keep on topic in this forum.
paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor
Facebook Profile Page: https://www.facebook.com/paul.mcleod.359

I'm drawn to the following...

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

"Whenever I meet a man I always finish him. You’re one of those cunning trap-laying, gun-shooting villains, who are best rooted out and got rid of. Our tribe always kill a man whenever we meet one. You don’t take much killing for all your banging and flashing. Just give their heads a spin or two like this,–so and so–and they’re as dead as door nails.”

And the hideous wretch gave my head a half screw round that made my neck creak and made me look over my loft shoulder for a month or two."

Does this relate to the multitude of decapitated bodies found in the bush during those distant times?

Cheers

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

BOTANY BAY YOWIE CAPTURE A REAL EVENT?

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Much has been poo pooed by the mainstream media, the ABC and the National Library of Australia over the discovery of a pamphlet describing the capture of a giant hairyman at Botany Bay at some time in 1789 by the crew of an English ship named ROVER.

The bulk of the story under fire by the critics has nothing to do with the details of the creatures actual capture and focuses more on the authors somewhat fuzzy description of the presentation and display of the beast at Apollo Gardens in England, once captured.

(See the selected media releases following on from my typed transcript of the creatures original capture at Botany Bay report.)

EXACT TRANSCRIPT OF THE REPORTED CAPTURE OF A GIANT HAIRYMAN FROM BOTANY BAY

BY PAUL JOHN MCLEOD.

THE CAPTURE OF A HAIRY GIANT AT BOTANY BAY 1789

THERE have been many various reports concerning this most surprising WILDMAN or savage GIANT that was brought from Botany Bay to England , numbers of people arguing and disputing about his enormous size, but to prevent further contending the following is sufficient to satisfy the Reader as many thousands have seen him in Plymouth where he was landed and in good health. A gentleman of this country being lately in Plymouth was curious enogh for he took a view of the GIANT. He being the first ever brought from Botany Bay to this kingdom , therefore this gentleman of veracity brought the printed account of him, which gives description of the wonderful size , form,shape, complexion of this astonishing GIANT. Also an account after the manner tha he was taken by a crew of English sailors and brought over from Botany Bay and explained in the following manner.

"This surprising monstrous giant was taken by a crew of English sailors whent they went on shore to furnish themselfs fresh water at Botany Bay.
To their surprise they beheld at a distance three of the most surprising tallest and biggest looking naked men that have been seen in the memory of this age turning towards them.

Which much afrightened the sailors caused them to make expidition on the ship for the safety of their lives leaving the casks of water and a quantity of good old rum which they had in a cask to refresh themselves and make merry .

When the three savages got to the seaside they stared at the ship for a long time with wonder asnd admiration and one of them having got the cask of rum , he tasted,spit it out and shook his head , another did the same,but the third drank plentifuly and began to jump about in a friightful wild manner and making a hideouse noise.
The other two giants went off and left this one enjoying the rum who drank to such excesses that he dropped to the ground and lay as if dead.

The sailors went ashore well armed and found his monstrous body motionless.They bound him fast with ropes and with much fatigue got him on board the ship where they secured him with iron chains where he slept upwards of twenty four hours before he was awake and was kept chained during the passage, he knew not the least token of beliefs while at sea. He came in the ship " ROVER" by Capt Lee to England from Botany Bay and landed at Plymouth November 29 1789

Ladies and gentlemen in great numbers honored him with their company and has been seen by thousands of people and all acknowledge him to be the greatest curiosity ever seen in England by the oldest man living, he being such a monstrous overgrown size and being the first ever brought from that country . Captain Lee determined to bring him to London , he is much tamer , and not so savage as might be expected. He is nine feet, seven inches high , four feet, seven inches broad , a remarkable large head, broad face , frightful eyes a broad nose and thick lips like a black, very broad teeth, heavy eyebrows, hair longer than a horses mane , a long beard, strong as thick wire, body and limbs covered with strong black hair .

The nails of his fingers and toes may be proper called talons , crooked a hawks bill and hard as horn. In short he is viewed with admiration and astonishment on account of his huge size.

He is allowed to be the greatest curiosity in England, being the largest man in thev knowen world, though some say there are larger in New Holland.
He resembles a black but his skin is yellow.

The sailors that bought him over say when they took him he was curiously painted mostly red, there are red,blue and green mines where he came from and delight in painting their skin .

The Captain says that before he got this wild savage into custody he took a close look at him through a spying glass from the ship, and of the other two giants that were with him which he thought were his sons for they looked young and had no beard and had variety of red circles and spots and stripes on their bodies and limbs which they seemed to admire .

This giant is very wild and knows nothing of Christianity he is often to throw many acts of violence but is found of his keeper , and is more calm in his temper .
He is chained round the middle but has liberty to lie down and rise and sit and walk some yards round when he chooses.

They take great pains to instruct him in the English tongue and it is hoped that in time he will be made to talk and become Christian.
He will sometimes so willingly eat human flesh if he can get it but now seems to alter his mind. He was a long time muzzled.
This is a full description".

END OF TRANSCRIPT.

OFFICIAL MISDIRECTION OF THE ORIGINAL EVENT VIA FOCUSING OF MEDIA ATTENTION
ON THE FANTASTICAL PERIPHERAL STORY OF EVENTS DESCRIBED AT APOLLO GARDENS

The National Librarian that located the archived and rare pamphlet is on record as saying that there never was a ship named The Rover registered as being in Botany Bay . In fact there was but it's full name was The Royal Rover and it's history is connected to the pirate BARTHOLOMEW ROBERTS better known as BLACK BART.
The ship is also officially recorded and registered as visiting Botany Bay at that time however no record exits that I can locate (thus far) stating that she was captained by a man named Lee.

The audio transcript of an ABC interview with the N.L.A curator concerning the story is even more infuriating, misdirecting and inaccurate

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 930216.htm

Paul McLeod 2017

22 January, 2014 3:07PM AEDT

Treasure Trove: Hairy Wild Man of Botany Bay
By Louise Maher (666 Field and Online Reporter)Tracking down an early 19th century monster man in the National Library of Australia.
Curator Nat Williams was flipping through a book of portraits at the National Library of Australia when he was struck by an unexpected image.
It was etching of a grotesque figure - part man, part monster - chained to a brick structure labelled The Den of the Hairy Wild Man from Botany Bay.
"He is [a] tall, hairy, wild looking creature," says Nat, "although somewhat more benign than he's later described in the text that goes with the image."
The book was self-published by New Zealand-born art collector Sir Rex Nan Kivell in the 1970s. Titled Portraits of the Famous and Infamous it attempted to depict, from 1492 on, all the people both real and sometimes mythical, who'd been significant in the Pacific region.
But where had Nan Kivell found the picture of the Hairy Wild Man?
Apollo gardens
After some detective work, Nat unearthed a pamphlet from 1802 which is also part of the Nan Kivell collection of thousands of books, manuscripts, maps and pictures at the National Library.
The flimsy 14-page pamphlet, the only known copy in the world, is called Tour through the Apollo Gardens in Gawsworth, near Macclesfield, Cheshire.
It was printed and sold by a J Dean and recounts a bizarre, fantastical story.
Botany Bay
"It sounds like somebody has taken some sort of substances which liberates their imagination," explains Nat.
"The narrator ... talks about coming across great sculptures, seeing a night display of sort of words in the sky (which is a quote from Milton as far as I can work out) ... one minute they're in England, the next minute they're in Long Island in New York ...and then the next thing you know he's wandering his way through the landscape and finds himself at Botany Bay."
It's there that the unnamed narrator comes face to face with the terrifying Wild Hairy Man who, with chains clanking, bursts out of his den.
"Luckily the chain is just too short to allow him to grab our narrator," says Nat, "and he stops dead in his tracks."
The Wild Hairy Man is described as "worse than any bear" the narrator has seen but Nat believes that due to the sweet smile on his face he looks "more sort of Maurice Sendak than Grisly Bear".
Symbolic
More than two centuries after the story and image first appeared it's impossible to know exactly what the author and illustrator were trying to convey.
Nat Williams says the Hairy Wild Man may be a symbolic reference to the convicts, a reflection of the monsters that appeared on old maps at the edges of the known world, or a depiction of the fear instilled by stories about the indigenous inhabitants of the young and far flung British colony.
"The evocations of something just beyond the firelight of the camp... there's always this sense of strange noises and weird melancholy et cetera," Nat explains, "and I think he's just part of that narrative ... Botany Bay as this place of exile, of mystery, of loneliness - of being cut off ."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/re ... cfeb510fc3

A Hairy Wild Man: An artist’s grotesque vision of Botany Bay

In 1802, an unusual pamphlet was printed in Cheshire, England. It featured an illustration of a rather hirsute man brandishing a club and holding a clean-picked bone. His place of residence: Botany Bay.

In the anonymous pamphlet, the image of the hairy wild man is accompanied by a surreal story. The narrator travels through time and space, encountering musical fountains and verses in the night sky, but eventually ends up in Botany Bay. There he visits the den of the hairy wild man. The narrator is just reading the notice on the door when out bursts a furious man, his body “covered with hair at least two inches long … his beard monstrously long and black”. Luckily, chains prevent the narrator from being mauled and he manages to escape Botany Bay.

The Hairy Wild Man is certainly an intriguing image and it is on display for the first time since the 1960s at Canberra’s National Library of Australia as part of an exhibition, Portraits of the Famous and the Infamous, in the Treasures Gallery.

At the NLA I’m shown the work by Nat Williams, the James and Bettison treasures curator. He tells me this is the only known copy in the world of the pamphlet and this image. He has been researching its history for nearly two years, ever since he discovered it in the collection. “The presence of the wild man in a pamphlet created 14 years after European settlement is curious,” he says. “He may reflect the sense of intrigue, but also menace, that the struggling early convict settlement radiated back to its source.
“At least in the early days of settlement, the palpable fear of transportation to what must have seemed the end of the earth was clearly expressed. The manacled hairy wild man was perhaps a warning to readers about exile to remote lands. But when you look at the face, it is rather more benign than terrifying.”

Williams explains the image is an engaging visual trope with a long heritage. “Obviously this Hairy Wild Man image taps into that idea of monsters,” he says. “Botany Bay was a penal colony but you also had strange and unlikely wildlife … being sent back to England, and people are marvelling at these odd things and thinking that they have been created by a hand other than God. So … there was this idea about monsters and the fear of the unknown.

“I keep coming back to the date of it. The really remarkable thing is that someone in 1802 in Cheshire is producing something as beautiful and as curious as this story and image. It suggests to me that the imagination of people on the other side of the world was being stirred by this little colonial outpost.”
The Hairy Wild Man from Botany Bay. From a pamphlet A Tour through the Apollo Gardens, in Gawsworth, near Macclesfield, Cheshire (1802). Rex Nan Kivell Collection (Australian Rare Books), National Library of Australia, Canberra. On display until December 13

NATIONAL LIBRAY ORIGINAL ARTICLES PART ONE AND PART TWO

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/treasures/ ... botany-bay

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/treasures/ ... bay-part-2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Nothing to do with SWIFT'S Yarhoo's

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:28 pm

CURATOR OF THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF AUSTRALIA

Surmises that the 1789 Giant Hairy man of Botany bay account is nothing more than a popular commentary of the times inspired by Jonathan Swifts Yahoo’s from his popular fantasy work Gulliver’s Travels

NO RESEMBLANCE TO SWIFTS YAHOO’S

Jonathan Swift’s actual description of a Yahoo bears no resemblance to the reported Giant hairy Wild man of botany bay.
Swifts actual writings describing the yahoo…

"I fell into a beaten road, where I saw many tracks of human feet, and some of cows, but most of horses. At last I beheld several animals in a field, and one or two of these same kind sitting in trees. Their shape was very singular, and deformed, which a little discomposed me, so that I lay down behind a thicket to observe them better."

- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels, Part 4, Ch. 1.

"Their heads and breasts were covered with a thick hair, some frizzled and others lank; they had beards like goats, and a long ridge of hair down their backs, and the foreparts of their legs and feet, but the rest of their bodies were bare, so that I might see their skins, which were of a brown buff color.
They had no tails, nor any hair at all on their buttocks, except about the anus; which, I presume, Nature had placed there to defend them as they sat on the ground; for this posture they used, as well as lying down, and often stood on their hind feet."

- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels, Part 4, Ch. 1

Kezza

Re: Long Term Missing Person's, recovered Human remains & Yo

Unread post by Kezza » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:20 pm

You are talking about a 70 year gap between the Royal Rover you mention Paul and the beginning of transportation to Australia in 1788.

I think that old pamphlet is most likely just a story based on few things and nothing more. Maybe based on what the Aboriginals told about the Yowie to the white settlers which may of reminded the English settlers of their own wild men stories.

sensesonfire
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Position: Paranormal Researcher

Unread post by sensesonfire » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:35 pm

paulmcleod67 wrote:FROM WIKIPEDIA

"The word "gorilla" comes from the history of Hanno the Navigator, (c. 500 BC) a Carthaginian explorer on an expedition on the west African coast to the area that later became Sierra Leone. Members of the expedition encountered "a savage people, the greater part of whom were women, whose bodies were hairy, and who our interpreters called Gorillae".
The word was then later used as the species name, though it is unknown whether what these ancient Carthaginians encountered were truly gorillas, another species of ape or monkeys, or humans.

The American physician and missionary Thomas Staughton Savage and naturalist Jeffries Wyman first described the western gorilla (they called it Troglodytes gorilla) in 1847 from specimens obtained in Liberia. The name was derived from Ancient Greek Γόριλλαι (gorillai), meaning 'tribe of hairy women', described by Hanno."

Whilst the account detailed below has been clearly embellished and doctored by the alleged author (reputedly an old sailor) ,the physical description of the creature and elements of its behavior that I find intriguing given the date of it's ultimate publication in 1871.

The appearance of the "Gorilla" indicates to me a possibility that the tale might be the result of an original encounter that has been blow out of proportion as a result of multiple re-telling by subsequent people.

It also makes purely for an entertaining read...

Australian Town and Country Journal in April 1871
“I have kept my secret for many years, and I doubt if it would have ever been divulged, for reasons I will give before I finish this paper, had it not been for the confirmation of my experience contained in several paragraphs in the Evening News during the last week or two about the Curl Curl monster and the Illawara gorilla. The paragraph respecting the latter said “A supposed Gorilla,” and that “supposed” has set me in motion… There is generally too strong a disposition to ridicule anything unusual, and frightened people are only too ready to believe what they will call supernatural. Now, I do not believe in the supernatural, and if I had been at Curl Curl the other day, I have the impudence to believe that I could have turned that nondescript monster to account, and with sufficient help I would have had the fellow in a caravan by this time, and knocked out something decent. But I have to tell you about the Illawarra gorilla, and I might as well drop into it first as last.
It was about twenty years ago, when Sydney was a very different place to what it is now, and there was fun to be had before the town became busy and bustling, that I was on board the little surveying craft called the Alligator. That wasn’t her name, you see, but I don’t want to be identified, although my name is well-known to Mr. Editor, who has given place to not a few of my old colonial yarns. Well, let’s call her the Alligator–that name will do as well as anyother for my purpose–and, as I was saying, surveying was our game, and a rare game it was–like a pleasure trip, and very few questions asked.
One night, after a pretty long spell in Farm Cove, we dropped out of the harbour, going south, and next morning, for some purpose or other unknown to us, we went into Wollongong, and a few of us got liberty for a run ashore to explore the beauties of the country round about. You may well suppose that we had a freshener in the town before we strayed into the bush away beyond Dapto, and there we came across a fellow doing nothing, so far as I could judge ; but he seemed a decontish chap in his way, and we soon discovered that he had some strongish stuff upon which the Customs gaugers had never set their mark ; and we wont in pretty deep for it, until at length we proceeded on our way, singing “Rule Britannia,” “Hearts of Oak,” and such like, getting well away into the bush. I began to feel independent of the Admiralty and all its works ; the trees began to waltz, and the crisp pure air had such an effect upon me that I tried to join in the fun, until I caught my foot in the stump of a grass tree, and down I went. Luckily, the bottle in which I had taken a pint, or thereabouts, of the real dew of the valley, was not broken, and although I was prostrated by circumstances beyond control, I took another wet and soon forgot my troubles. “O’er all the ills of life victorious.”

How long I slept I don’t well know, but when I woke up the trees were all as quiet and orderly as possible, and the shades of evening were commencing to close in. I was comfortably ensconced among some long soft grass, and above me, through the chinks of the trees that arched and met overhead, I could see that the sun was pretty well down, and left only a red reflection on the now rather dusky thicket about me. I am not naturally disposed to fear, but that evening I felt rather strange-like, and by no means clear in the think. The preoious stumps, some charred and others split into happy fantastic shapes, took forms in my imagination, and here I saw two desperate ruffians holding an unfortunate down ; and there seemed to see a beautiful young girl kneeling before a tomb. Of course it was all a delusion, but some of the delusions were pleasant, and others rather uncomfortable. I have often pictured the same kind of thing in the Australian bush, but I never saw those illusions so complete as upon the occasion I am referring to, and never in any other country, do what I would to conjure them up. I tried to calculate how far I could be away from the beach, and was rather uneasy about my leave. I was so fogged that I couldn’t even make out the lay of the place, and there I was lost as certainly as though I had been 500 miles away in the country. I shouted, coooyed and made myself hoarse, and the only reply I got was the soft twitters from a few disturbed birds, followed by that peculiar crackling of the trees only noticed by fellows who are out in the bush at night alone for the first time. Left alone in the quiet, I thought of many matters I had up to that time forgotten ; and I verily believe I was disposed to say my prayers that night– honestly, humbly and heartily–as I did when a child at my mother’s knee ; and I fell to thinking about my mother and my boyish days, and the loneliness seemed to do me good. I did not care much about the stuff in the bottle, but took a good pull from a little stream near at hand, using my old wide-awake as a goblet. It was getting rightdown dark now, and all I could see above me was the glorious stars shining out as they only do shine in an Australian sky. I had no weapon of any kind about me, but this did not trouble me, because I had heard that no animals of a ferocious nature were to be dreaded in Australia.

I trudged on without purpose, every footfall proclaiming to me that I was alone, and every step I took seemed to din the fact into my ears. The bush was getting thicker ; the giant trees were now more crowded, and the festoons of lovely vines draping the trunks of these forest monsters added to the frowning look they seemed to fasten upon me for my rashness in invading their solitude. In nautical language, I brought to–what use could there be in going on. I was in for it for that night, and all I could do was to wait for morning ; but sleep was quite out of the question, the snooze I had in the afternoon had settled that. The only solace I could master was a chew of tobacco, so I took a bite and began to think again of all the things I didn’t want to think about, when all at once I saw two distinct lights, near to each other approaching towards me. The lights were so close to each other, that they could hardly be anything so common as a lantern, and besides, although they were always close to each other, they appeared to sway irregularly from side to side. On came the lights, and I began to congratulate myself that at last deliverance was at hand, and I gave a loud cooey which brought what ever it was to a dead stand. I gave another, and away they went into the thickest of the bush. I followed, and they receded, and so I went on double quick time, and I gave another shout, answered this time by a most unearthly noise, something between a groan of pain and a yell of defiance, and away went the lights up a big tree.

Looking up, I saw–and, oh Lord ! there was the most extraordinary animal in the world surely :–About five feet high, long arms, legs something like mine, but not so handsome, feet about eighteen inches long, long toes covered with long hair, and as much like a gigantic monkey as possible. The begger mouthed at me in a very savage fashion, but so long as he was up the tree I didn’t care much about him, so I thought I’d keep him there. I put my back against the tree, and remembering that savage animals are afraid of the human voice I struck up “Rule Britannia,” much to the disgust of the beast, for he joined chorus in dismal yells and muttering growls. I had just got to the third verse, and was beginning to fancy how I should got on–because I couldn’t well sing all night–I had just got to the chorus of the third verse, in that part where we all agree to “Never, never, never,” when I found myself seized by the hair of my head, of which I always had a good share – of course its hair I mean. Well, as I was saying, just as the last “never” was coming out from my mouth up I went, with no more ceremony than you would show in pulling up a cat by the tail. Up he went and across a branch in no time, sticking me in front of him. I never did like having my hair pulled, so I let drive at him just between the eyes ; but it made no impression on the beast ; he merely passed his paw over the place, and sneezed as coolly as though I had handed him a pinch of Macaboy, and he turned to and pulled my hair again. I was wild, and fisted him until I was nearly off my porch. “Let me alone, you ugly thief,” says I. “No I shan’t,” says he, in tones that terrified me more than anything he had yet done. “No I shan’t.”
“I want to go down,” says I.
“Very well, go down,” says he.
” How can I go down ?” I said.
” The same way as you came up !” he says.
“What,” I says, “by the hair of my head ?” He nodded. “If I do,” says I, “may I be,—–”
” Wait a bit,” says he, “drop it !”
“What,” I says, “eighteen feet?–that’s a drop too much.”
“Oh, all right,” he says, “come on;” and grasping me by the middle, he had me down in no time, and I was on terra firma, wondering what was to follow.
“What are you,” he says, after looking at me very closely, and feeling me all over and examining my clothes with a look of the deepest disgust. “I’m a stranger,” says I.
“Are you what they call a man ?” says he. “I am” said I, “and an Englishman, and I’m proud of it.”
“Are you ?” says he, “then it’s a bad job for you. Whenever I meet a man I always finish him. You’re one of those cunning trap-laying, gun-shooting villains, who are best rooted out and got rid of. Our tribe always kill a man whenever we meet one. You don’t take much killing for all your banging and flashing. Just give their heads a spin or two like this,–so and so–and they’re as dead as door nails.” And the hideous wretch gave my head a half screw round that made my neck creak and made me look over my loft shoulder for a month or two.
“I should have screwed you so as soon as I caught you,” said he, “only you are such a happy looking wretch, that I wanted to get some fun out of you. Is there any fun to be got out of you, eh? If not, you’d better tell me and there’ll be an end of you.”
“Well, sir,” I said, (for I thought it best to butter him up a bit), “the fact is, sir,”–
“Fact !” says he, “fact ! What’s a fact ?”
“Well, sir,” I says, “a fact is something that’s not something else.” He got into a horrible passion, and made a move towards my neck ; but I ducked and he missed me.
“What,” he said, “do you mean to say you would tell me something that is something else. You miserable wretch, is that what you men do !”
“I was only going to ask you what and who you are,” I said, “since this is the first time I have had the pleasure of meeting you.”
“I,” said he, “am a gorilla, and owner of the forest upon which you are now trespassing. This is my garden, I laid it out and I have held it throughout its length and breadth over since it was first planted.”
“Well, sir,” I says, “if I may be so bold as to ask a question. I would like to know one thing.”
“Speak,” said he, with a gracious wave of his paw.
“I hope you won’t be offended.” I said, feeling my sore neck rather tenderly; “but I’ve heard of monkeys, apes, and gentlemen of your sort, but I never heard or read of one talking before.”
“And pray,” said he, in a sneering tone, “did you never hear any rumour as to the reason for that same?”
“Well, sir,” I said, “I can’t deny that I have heard a reason given, and without offence to you, I have heard that monkeys can speak and won’t for fear they might be set to work, but that of course, I know is a mistake, because I have had the honour of hearing you talk.”
“It’s perfectly true,” he said, winking one of his great green eyes in a very cunning manner ; “perfectly true. That’s our great secret, and we always keep it under all circumstances.”
At this I laughed outright. “Well,” I said, “that’s a rum start, you never let out your secret, and yet you’ve blabbed it to me straight away, and we haven’t been together half an hour.”

“And where’s the danger of telling you? ” he said, with a horrible chuckle that went to my marrow. “The secret is as safe with you as with this dead bough.” As he spoke he seized me by the hair of my head with one paw, and putting out the other broke off a limb from a tree, grasping it with as much ease as a school-master would a cane. “You don’t suppose,” said he, “that I should have been fool enough to let out the secret if there was the least chance in the world of it going any further.” And the bare idea tickled him so prodigiously that he fell into a horrible gutteral laugh of such long duration that I began to hope he would have a fit, but he presently recovered.

“It’s many a long day since I had such a laugh as that,” he said, “you are much funnier than the two legged black sort we generally fall in with about here : but there’s more mischief in you, and that’s why we never let you escape. Blabbed my secret did I ? Ho ! ho !” and off he went again as bad as before, roaring over the pleasant joke. All at once he screwed up his ugly mug and let out a yell denoting great pain.

I ventured to ask if he felt at all poorly. “Oh, no,” he said, “it was only those infernal rheumatics.” I ventured to say that I wondered that a gentleman of his experience had not discovered some means of relief, and told him that I was subject to the same disorder and always carried with me a specific, which I would willingly administer if he would give me some information as to the habits and life of his people.

His impatience was very great to have my remedy and his manner became decidedly unpleasant, so much so that I feared he would take effectual means to put me out of the way in order to keep his secret, as he called it. At length he said, “Well if you want to know why I came down upon you I will tell you, not that it will do you any good, because your game’s about played. The truth is, that I took you for a census collector. Those fellows are awfully inquisitive, and we are rather afraid of them, because if they found us they would at once take means to leave their precious papers with us, so whenever we see one we frighten his life out, and you white wretches are afraid to come into the bush, and that makes us pretty safe ; but,” said he, “what about the rheumatics?”

Upon this I produced the bottle, and informed him that it must be taken in very small quantities. He insisted upon my taking some, and he then followed my example. At the first sup he smacked his ugly lips, and water streamed from his eyes, and he had another drop, and another ; he first got regular jolly, and at length grew spitefully inclined. He danced about until he became frantic, and at last fell off the branch on which he had been sitting, drunk as blazes. I was afraid to venture on flight, and waited patiently for some time. At length I felt rather sleepy, and soon dropped off into a sound sleep, from which I awoke when the sun was well up. I looked round for my friend and found that he had decamped, leaving the empty bottle. My head was one large ache, and my neck was stiff and sore. I limped on as well as I was able and at length fell in with a cart track and following it had the satisfaction of once more facing the ocean and seeing the Alligator.

Well, of course, no one believed me, and my leave was stopped. They tried to make out that I had partaken too freely of unexcised spirit, that I had slept in the bush and got a stiff neck. As a proof, they called my attention to the fact that I had finished the bottle I took with me, and then tried to throw the blame on the gorilla. I knew better then, and I know still better now. The gorilla has been again seen at Illawarra, and it’s not quite certain that the Curl-curl monster is not a gentleman of the same kidney. I have no doubt at all that the census collector was the cause of my Illawarra friends re-appearance there. The spot where he was seen, confirmed me in my opinion, and after the report published the other day, I hope my veracity may be henceforth regarded as established.

It is said that Mr. Rixon saw a gorilla at the Cordeaux River some years ago, and the query suggested is, “Where did it come from?” My answer is simply :–At that time the census was being collected. I am the more confirmed in my supposition that there is great fear on the part of the gorillas of being degraded to the level of humanity by the census collectors, from having met with the following paragraph in a Californian paper I received by the last mail, from a friend in San Francisco. I need hardly remind the intelligent readers of this journal that the census was being collected in California in December last, when the following singular confirmation of my story was published there. It is due to the ladies of the gorilla race to say that I was not introduced to them, and saw nothing of them, or of their domestic manners and customs ; probably they are very particular and exclusive, as regards etiquette and social life. I should not, if I were a census collector, like to ask a lady gorilla in the tenets of what religious sect she intended her youngest infant to be trained, or whether any of her family were suffering from an incurable infirmity of temper, or what not. Here is what the Californian paper says about the Californian gorillas :

“It has been rumoured for some time in California that in the mountains at Orestimba Creek are to be seen occasionally either gorillas, or wild men, so devoid of personal attractions that they may fairly be classed as gorillas. A correspondent of the Ledger, writing on the 16th ultimo, gives a description of one of these animals or persons, as the case may be :- ‘It was in the image of a man, but it could not have been human. The creature, whatever it was, stood full five feet high, and disproportionately broad and square, with arms of great length. The legs were very short and the body long. The head was small, and appeared to be set on the shoulders without any neck. The whole body was covered with dark brown and cinnamon coloured hair, that on the head standing in a shock and growing close down the eyes like a Digger Indian’s. As I looked he threw his head back and whistled again, and stooped and grasped a stick from the fire, this he swung round until the fire on the end had gone out, when he repeated the manouvre. Fifteen minutes I watched him as he whistled and scattered my fire about. I could easily have put a bullet through his head, but why should I kill him ? Having amused himself, apparently all he desired with my fire, he started to go, but naving gone a short distance he returned, and was joined by another–a female unmistakably when they both turned and walked past me, within twenty yards of where I sat, and disappeared in the bush.’

Story supplied by Trove.

Great story Paul,

The more of these stories I read on Yowies and Bigfoot and listen to peoples personal experiences where they have been unable to explain the strange behaviour of these creatures suggests only one aspect to me that's the paranormal. This person suggests frightened people are only too ready to believe what they will call supernatural and he does not believe in the supernatural. Not true, you don't have to be frightened to believe in an unexplainable phenomena.
Whether or not this story is true or due to the hallucinary effects of a strong alcaholic drink it certainly makes good reading.

A talking gorilla, half man, half gorilla or whatever and one very adept at the English language I'm sure the scientific researchers would just love that one - not. The only other direction to take is the paranormal view if this story is true.
Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream.

Edgar Allan Poe.

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs General Advertiser

Sat 19 Sep 1896

A MONSTER AT LARGE.

Monkey Attacks a Baby Girl, defended by her brother
Little "Winnie Telford is the daughter of Mr. John Telford, store-keeper
of Gill-street, and is aged about 10 months, a pretty and interesting
little toddler — or at least she was until about noon yesterday.
At that moment little Winnie was being driven along church-street,
between Hodgkinson and Alundra street in a diminutive hand
cart by her brother Freddie, aged between 5 and 6 years.

All went well and the children enjoying themselves
in their usual hilarious manor, until they reached the fence
surrounding the residence of Mr T. Smith at the corner of Church
and Aland streets. Here, without giving the children a moment's warning,
a huge monkey cleared the fence at one bound and rushed straight for the
cart containing the little girl. Both children were naturally dismayed at the
sudden appearance of the monster, but their terror may not be imagined
when the monkey lifted the girl clean out of the cart and began
tearing at her face with his teeth and claws.

Little Freddie quickly recovered his presence of mind, and bravely attacked
the ferocious brute which was holding his sister in its hairy embrace
as it lacerated her pretty features with his teeth.

The boy attacked the monkey with stones, and hit it several times on the
head and body but without causing it to let go its hold of the baby.
realizing that stones were useless for this purpose the . plucky little follow
looked about for better weapons, and seizing a large horse shoe which he
found upon the ground, he bravely attacked the monster at close quarters,
holding its hairy neck with one arm, while he beat it about the head with
his improvised weapon. Still without avail the monkey refused to let go
its hold, but its attention being diverted by the continuous attacks of the boy,
it stopped biting the child, and snarled and howled at her defending brother
as if to frighten him away.

The boy was becoming rapidly exhausted, and
the end of the child in the grasp of the monster would undoubtedly have been
fatal if a bystander had not opportunely arrived in the person of Mrs Forrest .
The attention of the lady was attracted by the cries of the children, and she
gallantly ran from her residence to the rescue, calling her dogs to follow
as she ran. She beat off the brute with some difficulty, after rescuing
the torn and bleeding form of the child from its grasp, and took the
children to her residence close by, afterwards having the girl convoyed
to the hospital for, an examination .

Doctors Huxtable, Forrest, and Vores disclosed that the child's face had been
forcefully lacerated. One eye-lid was slit completely open, the mouth was
torn open also, and long strips of flesh were hung suspended from the
poor little sufferer’s face. She was placed under chloroform, and the
wounds having been stitched up, little Winnie was convoyed to her home.
Mr. Telford, on hearing of the occurrence, armed himself with a gun and
proceeded to wreck summary punishment on the ferocious brute that
disfigured, perhaps, for life, his child, but he was dissuaded from his purpose
by the police authorities.

Constable Power was dispatched to the scene
and he proceeded to hunt down the monkey for the purpose of preventing
it doing further damage. His task was no easy one, but after considerable
difficulty the ferocious brute was captured and securely chained up.
The heroism of little Freddie shines out in this incident as worthy of great
praise. The little fellow was never for a moment dismayed, and to his
bravo efforts on her behalf, the little Winnie owes not only her eyesight,
which is luckily unimpaired, but her life itself. The plucky conduct and
presence of mind of Mrs. Forrest is also worthy of special mention, as to her
also may the saving of the little one's life be attributed.

Simon M
Long Time Contributor
Position: Unsure

Unread post by Simon M » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:35 am

sensesonfire wrote: A talking gorilla, half man, half gorilla or whatever and one very adept at the English language I'm sure the scientific researchers would just love that one - not. The only other direction to take is the paranormal view if this story is true.
I don't see it as an either/or proposition - it could be partially true, or entirely untrue. It certainly reads like a tall tale to me, but it may be the embellished truth for all I know.

Once again, I don't see a dichotomy. There's no cause to say "it's either this or it's that" - and the terminology used may differ depending on someone's viewpoint. To say you believed in the supernatural in that era might have made you seem blasphemous. It's still a loaded word, of course.

I'm not sure why the 'science v religion' paradigm gets so much attention. There is no 'contest' between the two viewpoints; Charles Darwin, for example, was a deeply religious man (hence his reluctance to publish his theories) who originally studied to be a Clergyman!

Your insistence that science is somehow trying to subjugate or undermine religious doctrine is not demonstrated by this anecdote.

The first person who mentioned Darwin to me was a Catholic Nun. She explained the basics of evolutionary theory to me as a twelve year old boy. I've seen George Pell discuss evolutionary theory on TV and state that it isn't at odds with Biblical teachings or Catholic theology, and Father Bob has said similar things on TV as well. There's simply no way the two viewpoints are at odds.

If not for science, we wouldn't be disagreeing on the internet! :)

sensesonfire

Unread post by sensesonfire » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 am

Simon wrote:
I'm not sure why the 'science v religion' paradigm gets so much attention. There is no 'contest' between the two viewpoints; Charles Darwin, for example, was a deeply religious man (hence his reluctance to publish his theories) who originally studied to be a Clergyman!

Your insistence that science is somehow trying to subjugate or undermine religious doctrine is not demonstrated by this anecdote.

If you are suggesting that Charles Darwin was some sought of mediator between science and religion then that would be false because Charles Darwin was at very best an agnostic, he ceased being a Christian at the age of 40. He denied his Christian faith and In 1880, in reply to a correspondent, Charles wrote, “I am sorry to have to inform you that I do not believe in the Bible as a divine revelation, & therefore not in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.” I would view that as the words of an atheist not an agnostic. He never renewed his Christian beliefs so I do indeed see him as a great divide between science and religion.

Edgar Allan Poe.

Simon M
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Simon M » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm

sensesonfire wrote:Simon wrote:

If you are suggesting that Charles Darwin was some sought of mediator between science and religion then that would be false because Charles Darwin was at very best an agnostic, he ceased being a Christian at the age of 40. He denied his Christian faith and In 1880, in reply to a correspondent, Charles wrote, “I am sorry to have to inform you that I do not believe in the Bible as a divine revelation, & therefore not in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.” I would view that as the words of an atheist not an agnostic. He never renewed his Christian beliefs so I do indeed see him as a great divide between science and religion.
I wasn't suggesting that at all, as I think you're well aware. You're refusing to see the forest for the trees, which is entirely your choice.

I am saying that it's possible to be a person of faith (e.g., a Catholic Bishop, a Nun, etc) and still accept that evolutionary theory is not a negation of that faith.

Either way, the anecdote Paul presented had nothing to do with any science/religion debate - it was you who mentioned that as being an inevitable "either/or" consequence after having read it. I was simply responding to your comment with my own comment based on my first hand experiences.

We can argue about Charles Darwin until the cows come home (or evolve into bipeds), but the fact remains that Cardinal George Pell has said on TV that he thinks Darwin's theories do not contradict Biblical teachings. You do not have to be 'one or the other'; it's possible to reconcile both views without having to choose a 'side'.

If a Catholic Cardinal can see that science is not the enemy of religion, I think we can all agree that there's no animosity between the two viewpoints. Faith and science co-exist, they do not negate one another. Even your choice of the term 'mediator' displays your view that there's a disconnect between science and faith - I don't see one. I still don't really understand why you do see one. That's what I'm saying.

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:56 pm

The untimely death of John Shaw
The body of John Shaw ,missing from the Mid North Coast since Christmas Day, was found in water, in remote bushland between Port Macquarie
and Walcha on febuary 9th 2016.

Forty-five-year-old John Shaw was last seen after having Christmas lunch with his family in Tare on christmas day.
Police said he left to drive home later that afternoon.
His utility was found early the next morning on its roof, off the side of the Oxley Highway, near Mount Seaview west of Port Macquarie.
Polic e stated the accident was not caused by excessive speed and that Mr Shaw, though dazzed survived the accident, and it is thought that he attempted to hike a short cut via Mrytle Scrub Road, back towards Taree.

An extensive search found the clothes he was last seen wearing on New Years Day, 25 kilometres away from the crash site. No justification has been given as to why Mr Shaw removed his clothing and seemingly, at some point left Myrle scrub road and wandered off into rugged terrain, against all logic.
Exactly how Mr Shaw's body came to be in such an isolated and rugged location has never been officialy released.

The cause of death is not known, but a report was prepared by police for the coroner in 2016.
As there is no visual media beyond written accounts of John Shaws death, on news feed pages, the following
video may seem a liitle awkward as I've had to reconstruct the account into a visual medium from
virtual scratch.... I'm no Scorsese so please forgive the crudeness.

https://youtu.be/YwFrQ9SGels

sensesonfire

Unread post by sensesonfire » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:46 am

Simon M wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that at all, as I think you're well aware. You're refusing to see the forest for the trees, which is entirely your choice.

I am saying that it's possible to be a person of faith (e.g., a Catholic Bishop, a Nun, etc) and still accept that evolutionary theory is not a negation of that faith.

Either way, the anecdote Paul presented had nothing to do with any science/religion debate - it was you who mentioned that as being an inevitable "either/or" consequence after having read it. I was simply responding to your comment with my own comment based on my first hand experiences.

We can argue about Charles Darwin until the cows come home (or evolve into bipeds), but the fact remains that Cardinal George Pell has said on TV that he thinks Darwin's theories do not contradict Biblical teachings. You do not have to be 'one or the other'; it's possible to reconcile both views without having to choose a 'side'.

If a Catholic Cardinal can see that science is not the enemy of religion, I think we can all agree that there's no animosity between the two viewpoints. Faith and science co-exist, they do not negate one another. Even your choice of the term 'mediator' displays your view that there's a disconnect between science and faith - I don't see one. I still don't really understand why you do see one. That's what I'm saying.

You're placing too much emphasis on the Catholic church and what George Pell has to say and basically I couldn't give a running jump about the Catholic church and what their theologians have to say. (uh uh)

Edgar Allan Poe.

sensesonfire

Unread post by sensesonfire » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:31 pm

sensesonfire wrote:
Simon M wrote:

You're placing too much emphasis on the Catholic church and what George Pell has to say and basically I couldn't give a running jump about the Catholic church and what their theologians have to say. (uh uh)
Continuing on from this and I know this is not the forum for a religious discussion so I'll be brief but your reference to Cardinal George Pell, I suspect, may have come from the comments he made about evolution, creation, and science on the Q&A program in 2012 when he came up against the arch atheist Richard Dawkins. The general consensus by just about everyone was he was made to look a doddering incompetent by Dawkins so I wouldn't hang off every statement Pell makes as being the gospel (excuse the pun). Q&A would have been far better served with the Anglican Archbishop at the time Dr Peter Jensen but no doubt Q&A knew that he would be more than a match for Richard Dawkins. :idea: http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerou ... rd-dawkins.

Edgar Allan Poe.

Simon M
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Simon M » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

So basically you just want an ongoing non-argument, as you've continually ignored the actual points I've made in favour of focusing on minor details that you can zero in on and pontificate about in order to elicit a reasoned response you can then ignore? Again, forest for the trees, etc.

I'll just ignore your comments from now on - a troll's a troll, Christian or not. (thumb up)

sensesonfire

Unread post by sensesonfire » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

Simon M wrote:So basically you just want an ongoing non-argument, as you've continually ignored the actual points I've made in favour of focusing on minor details that you can zero in on and pontificate about in order to elicit a reasoned response you can then ignore? Again, forest for the trees, etc.

I'll just ignore your comments from now on - a troll's a troll, Christian or not. (thumb up)

The best idea you've come up with. (claps)

Edgar Allan Poe.

Brindabella Ranger
Silver Status
Position: Flesh and Blood

Unread post by Brindabella Ranger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Good research Paul.

Been a fan of David Paulidies's research for years and I agree with (most of) of his hypothesis.

It can be applied here in Oz without doubt...
The limits of our perceived world is constrained only by the inability to believe.

Mad Academic
Silver Status

Unread post by Mad Academic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm

The pamphlet you found and posted about the capture of a "wild man" and his transport back to England made fascinating reading, Paul. The physical description matches very closely some modern reports, particularly the reference to how broad the creature was and the size of the teeth.

Regarding the story of the little girl attacked by the "monkey" in Toowoomba, I am not so sure. I searched Toowoomba with Google Maps but could not find any of the streets mentioned. It always possible their names have been changed, but unlikely.

MA

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 am

Mad Academic wrote:The pamphlet you found and posted about the capture of a "wild man" and his transport back to England made fascinating reading, Paul. The physical description matches very closely some modern reports, particularly the reference to how broad the creature was and the size of the teeth.

Regarding the story of the little girl attacked by the "monkey" in Toowoomba, I am not so sure. I searched Toowoomba with Google Maps but could not find any of the streets mentioned. It always possible their names have been changed, but unlikely.

MA
Search monkey attack on TROVE

Cheers

Mad Academic
Silver Status

Unread post by Mad Academic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 pm

I don't doubt the story can be found in "Trove"...(you already copied it above), but that doesn't mean it really happened.

I also searched the English version of Trove for newspaper articles in December 1789. I imagine that a hairy man 9 feet 7" tall being exhibited would at least rate a mention in some of the newspapers of the time. Unfortunately, nothing. Of course, maybe not all newspapers of that era have yet been scanned and are available to search.
I did find mention of a giant at the time in England...but not the one I had hoped for...apparently the Irish giant Patrick Cotter (O'Brien) (8 feet 1") was exhibiting himself.

MA

Lozza62
Silver Status
Position: Believer

Unread post by Lozza62 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Paul, I think you might be on the right track with these missing persons....There would be a lot more unexplained deaths that have not made the news or been downplayed.The public is never told the real truth especially when it comes to our national parks the government has a vested interest to keep us in the dark.

Mad Academic
Silver Status

Unread post by Mad Academic » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Lozza62 wrote:Hi Paul, I think you might be on the right track with these missing persons....There would be a lot more unexplained deaths that have not made the news or been downplayed.The public is never told the real truth especially when it comes to our national parks the government has a vested interest to keep us in the dark.

Why on earth would the Government "keep us in the dark" if people were being taken and killed/eaten by yowies (or anything else for that matter)?
IMO they would be only too happy to either declare the places off-limit, or else throw them open to all and sundry as shooting ranges to try to get rid of the problem.
Covering up gets them no solution and they will ultimately be held to account if a killing is ever proved.

I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve the theory, but I certainly don't believe the Govt knows anything.

Lozza62
Silver Status

Unread post by Lozza62 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Mad academic ...you answered the question for me it's called accountability.Just imagine the outcry if it was proven that someone was killed by a yowie it could possibly shut down our greatest industry which is tourism.Cant imagine too many tourists going into our national parks if that was made public.National parks and wildlife are a government department so yes they do have a vested interest.

hillbilly
Silver Status

Unread post by hillbilly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

"..was killed by a yowie it could possibly shut down our greatest industry "
Tourism really is NOT our greatest industry.
It accounts for only about 2.75% of our GDP. People and Tourists are killed by crocodiles, snakes, spiders, and other humans every day. And by their own dumb actions, or inactions. Another death in the Australian bush would not create much effect on the Australian Tourism Industry, but it would quite possibly have a localised boost.
I am usually cautious when I read fantastic historical accounts, and I do perform some additional searches to prove some facts. But alas, with the internet, it is possible to rewrite history yourself, and just wait till someone finds your story and assumes it is gospel from the era in question.
I agree with Lozza, that there is accountability. Once the government admits there is a Yowie, they will have a Duty of Care to all citizens and visitors.

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

BLUE MOUNTAINS AND SURROUNDS

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 pm

REQUESTED BLUE MOUNTAINS AND SYDNEY OUTER SUBURBS DATA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wolf
Long Time Contributor
Position: Nature Lover

Unread post by Wolf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm

hillbilly wrote:"..was killed by a yowie it could possibly shut down our greatest industry "
Tourism really is NOT our greatest industry.
It accounts for only about 2.75% of our GDP. People and Tourists are killed by crocodiles, snakes, spiders, and other humans every day. And by their own dumb actions, or inactions. Another death in the Australian bush would not create much effect on the Australian Tourism Industry, but it would quite possibly have a localised boost.
I am usually cautious when I read fantastic historical accounts, and I do perform some additional searches to prove some facts. But alas, with the internet, it is possible to rewrite history yourself, and just wait till someone finds your story and assumes it is gospel from the era in question.
I agree with Lozza, that there is accountability. Once the government admits there is a Yowie, they will have a Duty of Care to all citizens and visitors.
Pardon the pun but I think people are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Non-disclosure has nothing much, if anything at all, to do with Tourism or the loss of it. You are almost there with the accountability thing, but not quite.

It is simple... take into consideration the amount of missing people over the years. Can you imagine the outcry and the lawsuits if the government admitted that not only do 'monsters' exist in the bush, but the guvmint KNEW of thier existence all this time and DID NOT WARN THE PEOPLE!

At some stage in the past the 'authorities' decided to keep the subject under wraps and in doing so ensured 'they' would HAVE to keep it under wraps from that point on, forever, ad infinitum.

Imagine your brother, or father, or mother, or even child had 'gone missing' while exploring or camping in the nice, safe Aussie bush (especially if it happened in a National Park). Then you found out big brother had known all along that a monster lived in the bush and had decided to NOT inform people of the danger? You would be furious and demand heads to roll.

The resulting law suits would bankrupt the government.

A couple of years back Wes Germer had an 'insider' on his show Sasquatch Chronicles. This chap was involved in law enforcement and after having some experiences himself somehow got access to chains of emails from different 3-letter agencies discussing how to deal with 411 cases.

Not long after publishing these shows Wes started getting phone calls warning him off. These calls were bad enough they resulted in Wes deleting those shows. You can still find them on YouTube from users posing as the real Sasquatch Chronicles though. They are known as the 'Insider Episodes'.

On a recent episode he had Dark Waters on. DW started talking about how it's simply not worth 'crossing the line' when it comes to the 'men in black', not for the tiny financial reward his and Wes' shows provide anyway. Big Brother is very happy 'disappearing' people, especially if it prevents possibly hundreds of millions in law suits.
The mightiest oak was once a nut that stood his ground

Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 am

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Position: Field Researcher

Unread post by yowiedan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 am

Shazzoir wrote:Aaaand bingo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkCwFkOZoOY

Shazz
Watched it last night Shazz.

Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 pm

(claps hands) (thumb up) Never gets old, haha. Love it!

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm working on a video report for the disappearance of young Patrick Hildebrand and thought it might be of interest to show you a list of all people that have gone missing
in Victorian parks, mainly around Wilson's Promotory....

Missing persons not found or found dead in Victorian Parks 1949 - 2017

1949 Wilson’s Promontory - solo walker, unsuccessful
1950 Warrandyte - elderly woman, not found
1955 Baw Baw Plateau - walker, 10 days, not found
1960 Olinda - man, not found
1961 Mt Magdala - woman walker, found dead on cliffs later
1968 Lake Mountain - man lost
1971 Mt Buffalo - missing walker
1972 Mt Buffalo - another missing walker
1972 Lake Mountain - lost schoolboys, touring skis used
1972 Toorongo Falls - lost child, 12 days, 100 BSAR searchers, unsuccessful
1973 Baw Baw Plateau - man missing from 4 wheel drive
1973 Mt Wills - lost man, not found
1974 Steavenson Falls - lost boy, not found
1974 Murchison Falls - lost male, not found
1976 Humphray River - lost man
1976 Mt Baw Baw - lost skier
1978 Lerderderg Gorge - lost man, later found drowned
1978 Mt Hotham - two lost skiers, found dead
1979 Mt Buffalo - missing woman
1981 Mt Bogong - recovered body, winter
1982 Cathedral Range - evacuation of injured girl
1983 Mt Buffalo - lost schoolboy
1984 Mt Feathertop - pair missing in snow
1985 Mt Stirling - two lost skiers, found dead
1987 Wilson’s Promontory - intellectually disabled boy lost, not found
1987 Falls Creek - man lost from Village at night, died
1988 Dargo Plains - male four wheel driver, not found
1989 Pretty Valley Creek - lost fisherman
1994 Woods Point - deer shooter, found safe
1996 Mt Hotham - adult snowboarder, found dead after snow melt
1999 Mt Kosciuszko - four snowboarders, found dead after snow melt, first interstate search
2000 Powers Lookout, Whitfield - missing woman, not found
2001 Tanjil Bren - intellectually disabled adult, not found
2001 Tawonga Gap - para-glider pilot, found dead outside search area
2002 Mt Useful - missing woman, not found
2002 Noojee - missing man, found dead
2002 Lake Mountain - missing man, found dead
2003 Cambarville - missing man, not found, later found dead
2004 Mount Buffalo - missing man, not found, later found dead
2008 Mount Dom Dom - missing man, not found
2011 Tomahawk Creek - missing deer hunter, not found
2011 Tomahawk cold case - missing deer hunter, not found
Intellectually-disabled people missing in Victorian National Parks 1949 -2011
1980 Seven Acre Rock - intellectually disabled girl
1980 Blackwood - intellectually disabled girl
1987 Wilson’s Promontory - intellectually disabled boy lost, not found
1987 Strathbogie Range - intellectually disabled boy lost
1992 Mt Stanley - intellectually disabled man - evacuated by stretcher
1998 Wilson’s Promontory - intellectually disabled boy, found, 58 BSAR searchers on first call-out
2000 Mt Samaria - intellectually disabled boy, evacuated by stretcher

paulmcleod67
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by paulmcleod67 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Here is the best newspaper article I could find on Patrick's disappearance

Simon M
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Simon M » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm

That sounds like criminal incompetence. Why was the search so badly run? Bloody heartbreaking to think of the poor kid, all alone out there, with these guys as his only hope. They should've gotten the indigenous trackers out there on day one, simple as that.