New member from the Central Coast

This board is open for discussion on the Australian Yowie, Bigfoot, Yeti & Sasquatch. Please keep on topic in this forum.
Post Reply
Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 pm

G'day everyone, new member from the Central Coast of NSW. I have a passion for the outdoors, Paranormal and of course Cryptozoology.
I haven't seen a Yowie yet, but I have no doubt they exist. I can't say I've ever gone looking for one, but would love to meet like minded people around my area and maybe go for a look one day.
In a few months my morning drive to work will see me driving through some promising country before dawn, can only hope I might just see something unexpected ..πŸ˜‰
Enjoying the content, plenty of good readingπŸ‘

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Searcher » Sun May 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi Pertys80,

With those listed interests, I am sure you will enjoy this forum.

If you haven't already, take the time to listen to the Audio Reports. Some of them are quite spectacular! There are many, so it will be a labour of love over the next month or two. (love) I promise you will not be disappointed.

Trust you will have an HD Dashcam recording everything you might see on those upcoming early bushland drives to work. You never know... you may get lucky!

ronstar2
Approved Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 am

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by ronstar2 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi Pertsy80
what part of the coast are you in? I would try the watigans and down around kuringai national park. good luck stay safe.

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for the welcomeπŸ˜‰.. Yes, I've been listening to the audio reports already, that's what brought me here.
I live up the northern end of the coast, so the Watagans would have to be the first pick if I was to go for a look.
I grew up hunting and fishing in NZ , and moved over to Sydney in 2002. I moved up the coast 7 years ago, haven't looked back since.
I still hit the fishing when I can, no hunting yet but have the resources to go.. Its the usual case of having little spare time outside of work and time with the family.
Will be definitely be investing in a decent dash cam (thoughts?), and maybe set a trail camera or two off the main road on route to work. I know the chances of capturing a Yowie a slim, but ya wont know unless you dont try, right?πŸ˜‰

User avatar
Wolf
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Position: Nature Lover

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Wolf » Sun May 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.

Wouldn't bother with trail cams... not sure if they can see the infra red, smell the electronics and plastic or hear the faint buzz but the Hairy Blokes avoid them with ease.
The mightiest oak was once a nut that stood his ground https://www.sasquatchstories.com

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 am

Wolf wrote: ↑
Sun May 20, 2018 9:08 pm
Welcome to the forum mate.

Wouldn't bother with trail cams... not sure if they can see the infra red, smell the electronics and plastic or hear the faint buzz but the Hairy Blokes avoid them with ease.
I'm hearing ya, but its more out of putting them to some use. Whether I'm just catching Wallabies and Possums, its better than having them collect dust at home.
Not to mention, the odd occasion where something anomalous maybe caught. Like footage of the law enforcement cam being buried by something red and hairy over in the US last year, poor thing was probably getting a splitting headache from the emf.. πŸ˜‚
Maybe some kind of a faraday cage could help, there has to be a way to out smart these guys..πŸ€”

User avatar
yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Position: Field Researcher

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by yowiedan » Wed May 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Use a sound recorder when you find an area which you think could have some Yowie activity there and place one somewhere near a big tree or under a log and record whatever noises happen for the next 6 -7 days and nights then listen upload it onto your computer then use a program like wavepad to check out all the noise spikes and listen to what was recorded. You may be lucky enough to record a rock clack or a tree knock or a vocalisation.

User avatar
Simon M
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:36 am
Position: Unsure
Location: South Western Victoria

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Simon M » Thu May 24, 2018 1:41 am

Welcome to the forum, Pertys.

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 am

yowiedan wrote: ↑
Wed May 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Use a sound recorder when you find an area which you think could have some Yowie activity there and place one somewhere near a big tree or under a log and record whatever noises happen for the next 6 -7 days and nights then listen upload it onto your computer then use a program like wavepad to check out all the noise spikes and listen to what was recorded. You may be lucky enough to record a rock clack or a tree knock or a vocalisation.
That would be a cool be of equipment to have for sure, Ive heard Rusty 222's stuff, pretty compelling imo...
Any ideas on an affordable model to purchase?

User avatar
Rusty2
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:30 pm
Position: Believer
Location: East Coast

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Rusty2 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:41 pm

Welcome aboard Pertys80 !

Affordable doesn't work out so well in the end . This model works very well , is reliable and the best thing about it is if you get something cool like bipdeal walking and use the same settings as I am then I can help you with identification .



You will also need a 16gb micro sd card and 2 lithium ion batteries . With this setup you'll get 100 continuous hours of cd quality audio . There are also ways to stretch this out to 140 hours but it comes at a price . Only with continuous recording can you collect every event that happens during that time . Trawling through the audio isn't much fun but from experience this is the way to catch everything .

Hope this helps . :)

User avatar
yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Position: Field Researcher

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by yowiedan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

I use a sony notetaker and have recorded some great results while using it.

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 am

Rusty2 wrote: ↑
Thu May 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Welcome aboard Pertys80 !

Affordable doesn't work out so well in the end . This model works very well , is reliable and the best thing about it is if you get something cool like bipdeal walking and use the same settings as I am then I can help you with identification .



You will also need a 16gb micro sd card and 2 lithium ion batteries . With this setup you'll get 100 continuous hours of cd quality audio . There are also ways to stretch this out to 140 hours but it comes at a price . Only with continuous recording can you collect every event that happens during that time . Trawling through the audio isn't much fun but from experience this is the way to catch everything .

Hope this helps . :)
Thank you, looks like a nice piece for a decent price too..
Are these things waterproof? Or would a simple DIY housing attached to a tree be enough?
100 hours is pretty damn good, ill be finding a spot on my new route to work so keeping up maintenance shouldnt be a problem..
Passing vehicles might give me a few false alarms, as I don't want to be going in too far off the road.. Sorry, too many David Paulides interviews has caused this..πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 am

yowiedan wrote: ↑
Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm
I use a sony notetaker and have recorded some great results while using it.
Ill check that out also, thank youπŸ˜‰

User avatar
Rusty2
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:30 pm
Position: Believer
Location: East Coast

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Rusty2 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Small lunch box from K-Mart .
Cut a hole so the microphones stick out . Put an awning above the hole to stop the recorder from getting wet . Have some insulation on the inside to stop the cold from killing the batteries . Strap it to a tree , press record .

Pertys80
Bronze Status
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: New member from the Central Coast

Unread post by Pertys80 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Rusty2 wrote: ↑
Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Small lunch box from K-Mart .
Cut a hole so the microphones stick out . Put an awning above the hole to stop the recorder from getting wet . Have some insulation on the inside to stop the cold from killing the batteries . Strap it to a tree , press record .
Thats a great idea, thank youπŸ˜‰

Post Reply