Communicating with pictures

This board is open for discussion on the Australian Yowie, Bigfoot, Yeti & Sasquatch. Please keep on topic in this forum.
Post Reply
rowbe
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Position: Crypto Fiend
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Communicating with pictures

Unread post by rowbe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi, this is my first post of hopefully many - I am new to the YHF. Although I have never sighted a yowie I have been involved with some events, I believe involved a yowie. But in those days I did not think yowies existed. They were a creature similar to drop bears - critters you told to unsuspecting Swedish and English backpackers. (jest) . But those events are another topic.

I have recently been reading some forums concerning leaving food and it disappearing - believed to be taken by yowies. Would be interested if anyone has tried the below strategy.

I’ve read forums where researchers have left food in specific places, with this food disappearing with only scraps or nothing remaining. I recently completed a doctorate in human behaviour and culture and think this would be a good time to move beyond communication involving only food. Has anyone thought of leaving (probably with the temptation of food) a sketch pad. My thought – when leaving the food, openly draw a picture so it is visible to the bush area (similar to showing opening a bottle, etc) – it should be basic pictures like stick figures – preferably a picture of a yowie (hairy person) holding hands with a human stick figure. Now the picture may seem strange but it depicts friendship. Tear the picture out of sketch pad, hold it up and then put under a rock near the food (preferably under cover – e.g. rock overhang). Leave the open sketch pad there also (not covering the picture – and with a rock on it so it doesn’t blow away) with some crayons or similar (hopefully they won’t eat them). I would be interested to see if you get any response. Pictures have been used in the past to communicate with tribes that don’t speak a recognised language and also with apes. It may take a while to gain trust, try different pictures and try more than once - keep at it for a while. Response won’t be much, if anything, probably only some squiggly lines, but that would be a significant breakthrough. And as always, as long as the researcher can be trusted. Your thoughts?

User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Shazzoir » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Rowbe, welcome, and what a first post!

This is a brilliant idea, and I'd love to see/hear if anyone tries this and has any reply on the paper.

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

rowbe
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Position: Crypto Fiend
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by rowbe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks Shazz. It may seem "airy fairy" but I like to think outside the box.

Lets face it, cameras are not picking up much, they obviously can detect noise or infrared, etc. Sightings are only seemingly by chance or us feeling them stalking and watching us. Heaps of evidence re stone stacks, stick tee pees and broken braches etc.

Leaving food is a type of communication and has been shown to work (if by genuine hunters/researchers), if it is working, try something different to get a different reaction. What have you got to lose. Just a thought.

User avatar
ripperton
Silver Status
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by ripperton » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Right Rowbe, been done before too by Mike Patterson.

At 23m26s you see exactly what you are talking about.
Im going to use a white board with markers.

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm
Position: Believer

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Yowie bait » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:49 pm

I think that's a good idea too but youd want some verification that you are feeding yowies and not getting pranked by someone.
Yowie Bait

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Dion » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

It would probably go a bit like this?

Image
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by inthedark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:19 am

Dion wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm
It would probably go a bit like this?

Image
:lol:

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by inthedark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:20 am

rowbe wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm
Hi, this is my first post of hopefully many - I am new to the YHF. Although I have never sighted a yowie I have been involved with some events, I believe involved a yowie. But in those days I did not think yowies existed. They were a creature similar to drop bears - critters you told to unsuspecting Swedish and English backpackers. (jest) . But those events are another topic.

I have recently been reading some forums concerning leaving food and it disappearing - believed to be taken by yowies. Would be interested if anyone has tried the below strategy.

I’ve read forums where researchers have left food in specific places, with this food disappearing with only scraps or nothing remaining. I recently completed a doctorate in human behaviour and culture and think this would be a good time to move beyond communication involving only food. Has anyone thought of leaving (probably with the temptation of food) a sketch pad. My thought – when leaving the food, openly draw a picture so it is visible to the bush area (similar to showing opening a bottle, etc) – it should be basic pictures like stick figures – preferably a picture of a yowie (hairy person) holding hands with a human stick figure. Now the picture may seem strange but it depicts friendship. Tear the picture out of sketch pad, hold it up and then put under a rock near the food (preferably under cover – e.g. rock overhang). Leave the open sketch pad there also (not covering the picture – and with a rock on it so it doesn’t blow away) with some crayons or similar (hopefully they won’t eat them). I would be interested to see if you get any response. Pictures have been used in the past to communicate with tribes that don’t speak a recognised language and also with apes. It may take a while to gain trust, try different pictures and try more than once - keep at it for a while. Response won’t be much, if anything, probably only some squiggly lines, but that would be a significant breakthrough. And as always, as long as the researcher can be trusted. Your thoughts?
Hey there .. welcome!

Great thoughts, and an excellent idea. Trust would be the only issue ... and sadly, it's often a problem.

rowbe
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Position: Crypto Fiend
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by rowbe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 am

I think these forums are great.
Thanks Ripperton, I would have thought someone had used this strategy before. I did not think Sasquatches would be such Picassos. I really thought they would be just squiggles on a page - they are obviously more intelligent than I gave them credit for - but that's a newby for you. Haven't watched whole of video as, yet and watched without sound - but will soon.

Dion, love the vid - I actually think it is a video of my boss (looks like him) reviewing my work.

Yowie bait, in relation to pranksters, I guess it would depend on the location (how remote, etc), not sure, I would try food for a while first to gain repore - most of you experienced hunters/researchers would probably know if it were a prankster. May need some more thought.

Trust I guess would always be an issue especially if someone was to report it outside these circles (and I guess also within these circles). Would be great self satisfaction though. I guess a lack of trust comes with the area.

AL Pitman
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Position: Field Researcher
Location: Kungala nsw

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by AL Pitman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:36 am

Welcome Rowbe !
Your picture communication idea is simply brilliant and to a large extent may have been overlooked by many due to the simplicity of the procedure.
I will definitely give this a crack on my patch.
Cheers.
IF YOU DO NOT LOOK YOU WILL NOT SEE

AL PITMAN

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by inthedark » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 pm

ripperton wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:47 pm


These are the guys who were caught faking all of this stuff, right? Doesn't that mean everything they produce is BS?

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm
Position: Believer

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Yowie bait » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm

rowbe wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 am
I think these forums are great.
Thanks Ripperton, I would have thought someone had used this strategy before. I did not think Sasquatches would be such Picassos. I really thought they would be just squiggles on a page - they are obviously more intelligent than I gave them credit for - but that's a newby for you. Haven't watched whole of video as, yet and watched without sound - but will soon.

Dion, love the vid - I actually think it is a video of my boss (looks like him) reviewing my work.

Yowie bait, in relation to pranksters, I guess it would depend on the location (how remote, etc), not sure, I would try food for a while first to gain repore - most of you experienced hunters/researchers would probably know if it were a prankster. May need some more thought.

Trust I guess would always be an issue especially if someone was to report it outside these circles (and I guess also within these circles). Would be great self satisfaction though. I guess a lack of trust comes with the area.
It was what i considered a sighting that determined where i left food and that i continue to do so as i was ready to give it up and had come to the conclusion that i was wasting my time. Still i had no proof that it was the hairys were taking the food and gifting or trading with me.

What was really weird were the strange things left in place of food as if something or someone was attempting to give me something a human would like or use without really understanding humans. Its the thought that counts i guess!

I did think of leaving pen and paper and was also told to make things from vine and twigs as they might appreciate the effort more.
Yowie Bait

rowbe
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Position: Crypto Fiend
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by rowbe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Using sticks and vines makes sense. What were the things the left behind? I'm intrigued.

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm
Position: Believer

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Yowie bait » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:43 pm

rowbe wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm
Using sticks and vines makes sense. What were the things the left behind? I'm intrigued.
Well i wont say a yowie definitely left them but some weird odds and ends like a plastic a4 folder with a sheet of paper with bits of writing on it like someones unfinished shopping list or project. Seemed to be a few years old. Bits of coloured plastic or parts of broken human things would come and go.

I think a short piece of rope and a plastic empty potplant pot. Stuff would show up then be gone if i didnt take them.

The only things i took were rocks left in the place of the food. They were in place of rocks i had left in the bow with the food. Once was quartz left in place of a different piece of quartz and the other was a smooth flatish dirty piece of granite( i think?) Left in place of a clean rounder piece id left. Looked like it had been ripped out of the creek with roots stuck to it.

Also rock stacks but i instigated that originally but they kept coming. I dont know why but i thought the stacks signified my side and their side of the creek and one i thought was like a family portrait with different sized rocks side by side ascending from small to large.

Rock stacks were quite frequent.

Dunno if it was for me but found a chicken one day. Not in feeding area but in a gully where id been crossing frequently and had some interesting experiences.

The chicken looked to have its neck broken and a large lnife or Claw wound in its chest or stomach. It was very fresh still and looked like it had been killed at the spot. That was really freaky as i got lost that day and was refinding the chicken over and over. (eek)

There was others but i never documentef it which is a good idea to do if your doing this. I didnt want to take photos of food or anything else in that part as i thought they wouldn't trust me....if it was them!
Yowie Bait

rowbe
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Position: Crypto Fiend
Location: Sunshine Coast, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by rowbe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Sounds like he really wanted you to have the chicken. Scary, he must have been following you. He probably spent some thoughtful time trying to find something he thought you would like. Interesting that some are aggressive and others are happy to interact, just not in person. Re stone stacks try forming a smiley face on the ground, see what reaction.
Thanks for the info- I know you can't be certain it was a hairy but it's not what I think a human would leave.

thehairyone
Silver Status
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by thehairyone » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 pm

"Also rock stacks but i instigated that originally but they kept coming. I dont know why but i thought the stacks signified my side and their side of the creek and one i thought was like a family portrait with different sized rocks side by side ascending from small to large."


Hey there YB , funny you should say that about the rock stacks , The area i go to is at the base of some snowfields and my area seems to be mostly active in winter
My feelings are that when it gets too cold up there they come down , then back up when it warms up , but when i know they are in the area i find
rock stacks , always 4 rocks , with 2 large rocks as a base then a medium then a small , and when i feel they are gone the stacks are always dismantled ,
my feeling is that its a family group of 4 as when i see them i add one for me , and next time i go my rock is always off the stack and up to a meter or two away
Mine is the white pebble
Cheers Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2183
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm
Position: Believer

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Yowie bait » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:14 pm

rowbe wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Sounds like he really wanted you to have the chicken. Scary, he must have been following you. He probably spent some thoughtful time trying to find something he thought you would like. Interesting that some are aggressive and others are happy to interact, just not in person. Re stone stacks try forming a smiley face on the ground, see what reaction.
Thanks for the info- I know you can't be certain it was a hairy but it's not what I think a human would leave.
Yeah that chicken was weird. It was an odd day as i thought i could get out in any direction but i went further in and the area was much larger than id realised and the few large logs i was using as guides at the first gully were gone. I became confused and just kept walking and ending back at the chicken!

Had a look there more recently and i felt quite stupid as it doesnt seem that large and theres a track there i never noticed. Dunno how i got so lost. Chicken mustve threw me off!

The whole experience over a year or so was just a really stange thing to do really but it was good to get out. I was healthiest and fittest id been in years and something/ soneone or some critters got a good feed out of it! That was some top quality fruit i was purchasing. Inferior items were hardly touched. Same with choc nut bars i left.
Yowie Bait

User avatar
ripperton
Silver Status
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by ripperton » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm

inthedark wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 pm
These are the guys who were caught faking all of this stuff, right? Doesn't that mean everything they produce is BS?
No some govt whack jobs attempted to discredit him, They were actually photographed near his research site.
Just watch all of his vids.

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by inthedark » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm

ripperton wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 pm

No some govt whack jobs attempted to discredit him, They were actually photographed near his research site.
Just watch all of his vids.
Have done so. Unfortunately, this guy doesn't pass the psych sniff test.

He says the world 'needs' this BF wisdom, says he's the only one with access to it, yet he won't share it. He demands we take his word for it, like any two bit prophet claiming to speak for the gods. He's completely nuts, sorry. Well, nuts or very very clever and with an eye to establishing some sort of lucrative cult.

MW83
Bronze Status
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:55 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by MW83 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

If anyone plans to use a gifting bowl, perhaps use one made of metal. That way they will hopefully leave some fingerprints behind when they pick up the bowl.

User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1076
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Great idea, Mike!

I once asked someone doing this very thing with Hairies, to leave out a dog brush or something similar, to see if the taker would appreciate perhaps the pleasant sensation of grooming (not on the head, and not with thoughts of Yowies running through the bush with bouffant teased pompadours or anything) or scratching, this tool would provide.

Has anyone tried non-food gifts? Like a small non-breakable mirror-type surface (don't want to injure or cause a bushfire), soft toy Chewbacca, maybe? or other item that might pique their interest?

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

User avatar
Simon M
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:36 am
Position: Unsure
Location: South Western Victoria

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by Simon M » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 am

Shazzoir wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm
I once asked someone doing this very thing with Hairies, to leave out a dog brush or something similar, to see if the taker would appreciate perhaps the pleasant sensation of grooming (not on the head, and not with thoughts of Yowies running through the bush with bouffant teased pompadours or anything) or scratching, this tool would provide.
Your post cracked me up. Thank you.

The bouffant pompadour Yowies are most often seen in the Melbourne suburbs, especially on weekends.

AL Pitman
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Position: Field Researcher
Location: Kungala nsw

Re: Communicating with pictures

Unread post by AL Pitman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 pm

I wonder of they're a bit special with their cafe order.
Like , double decaf skinny wallaby late' or
Roadkill salad with witchidi grub chips !!
IF YOU DO NOT LOOK YOU WILL NOT SEE

AL PITMAN

Post Reply