JJ Yowie Search

This board is open for discussion on the Australian Yowie, Bigfoot, Yeti & Sasquatch. Please keep on topic in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
AustralopithecineOz
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:16 am
Position: Nature Lover
Location: Riverena NSW
Contact:

JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by AustralopithecineOz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 am

A fellow named Josh posted a video 5 days ago calling out two of the reasons the Yowie subject isn't taken seriously by the mainstream public.. it's painful to watch but it proves a solid point.


User avatar
yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Position: Field Researcher

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by yowiedan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Good video Josh well put together of Dumb and Dumber.

Bluedog
Approved Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Bluedog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Bloody hilarious! The chanting in the bush is priceless! Do they dance naked around camp-fires? Hope they don't post that on YouTube! All I see is a couple of aussie blokes taking the piss. It's impossible to take these fellas seriously! I'm pretty sure they don't, just a pair of Wally's who created a YouTube channel, got some views and snowballed from there.
Sad that they started believing there own fabrications. Anybody who has any real interest in the subject can see this pair for what they are, a couple of rabbits who are full of it!
The media never interview serious researchers, they always treat the subject as abit of a joke to fill in a slow news day and these two fit the bill perfectly.
Great entertainment value but that's about it :lol:

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am

These guys are hilarious!

What fun they're having, bless 'em. And I really don't think anyone is ever likely to think these guys are 'serious researchers', so they're no threat to the field. More the point, it's a field which begs to be mocked, given some of the loons and con artists involved. Great stuff .. will have to catch up on their 'work' (happy)

User avatar
yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Position: Field Researcher

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by yowiedan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 pm

inthedark wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am
These guys are hilarious!

What fun they're having, bless 'em. And I really don't think anyone is ever likely to think these guys are 'serious researchers', so they're no threat to the field. More the point, it's a field which begs to be mocked, given some of the loons and con artists involved. Great stuff .. will have to catch up on their 'work' (happy)
At one stage they were ruffling alot, I mean alot of Qld Yowie Researchers Feathers.

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:45 am

yowiedan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:11 pm


At one stage they were ruffling alot, I mean alot of Qld Yowie Researchers Feathers.
That's a shame. I think it's very healthy to have our funny little hobbies and pet theories mocked. It keeps us grounded, and helps prevent 'cheap and easy' belief. Something Big Footery doesn't need any more of!

More to the point though, funny things are still funny when they're at our expense. Sometimes they're actually funnier (woot)

User avatar
Wolf
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm
Position: Nature Lover

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Wolf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm

They were not mocking and got quite abusive here on this very forum.
These jokers were serious, posting 'mysterious tracks' (emu) and all sorts of c**p. As soon as anyone politely pointed out their 'error', said comments were removed.
The mightiest oak was once a nut that stood his ground https://www.sasquatchstories.com

User avatar
hillbilly
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:35 am
Position: Believer
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by hillbilly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 pm

inthedark wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am
These guys are hilarious!What fun they're having, bless 'em. And I really don't think anyone is ever likely to think these guys are 'serious researchers', so they're no threat to the field. More the point, it's a field which begs to be mocked, given some of the loons and con artists involved. Great stuff .. will have to catch up on their 'work'
Sadly, this is the way that most of your average Aussie consumer units, who are programmed to believe what The Media, Koshie or Karl tell them to belive, will perceive anything Yowie related.
If Koshie and Karl say "this is stupid, and you,ll see why" then the dumbed down audience will all "see" that it must be stupid.

I think it is dumber to think this will have NO effect on how the general public will respond to serious research on serious sightings. Most dumbed down audience members were only watching because the footy scores were coming up next. But, this will have an ongoing negative effect on anything Yowie related.
Cryptozoology is a field that does not need the piss taken. It needs a hand to stand. FFS, let's give a hand. :)

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm
They were not mocking and got quite abusive here on this very forum.
These jokers were serious, posting 'mysterious tracks' (emu) and all sorts of c**p. As soon as anyone politely pointed out their 'error', said comments were removed.
Hadn't realised they were members here! Just assumed it was a 'comedy' YT channel.

Makes you wonder what their game is, if they were here and taking it all a bit too seriously. Are they mockers or believers?

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:22 pm

hillbilly wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Sadly, this is the way that most of your average Aussie consumer units, who are programmed to believe what The Media, Koshie or Karl tell them to belive, will perceive anything Yowie related.
If Koshie and Karl say "this is stupid, and you,ll see why" then the dumbed down audience will all "see" that it must be stupid.

I think it is dumber to think this will have NO effect on how the general public will respond to serious research on serious sightings. Most dumbed down audience members were only watching because the footy scores were coming up next. But, this will have an ongoing negative effect on anything Yowie related.
Cryptozoology is a field that does not need the piss taken. It needs a hand to stand. FFS, let's give a hand. :)
I don't think I've ever actually watched Kochie or Karl (for longer than the time it takes to walk past someone else's tv .. they'd never be on mine!), so can't speak for their commentary on BF, or its effect on their audience. Or in fact, the quality of their audience!

I will disagree on the mockery though. We can't blame media (or random Youtube comedians) for their willingness to point and laugh, as they're simply responding to what they see. And what they see is too many people pointing at sticks and rocks and claiming it means 9' hairy ape men are wandering the outer suburbs, unseen. They see the many hundreds of absurdly unbelievable American 'encounter' reports from bald faced liars and those suffering from confirmation bias. They see terrible film and bad photos. They see rather good monkey suits. They see people turning a dollar from the ready belief of 'consumer units', via trickery, fakery, and empty promises. Personally, I wouldn't want them to add weight to that stuff by taking it seriously.

Until the field is reduced to only those prepared to accept nothing less than empirical evidence, we should accept we'll be laughed at. Until then, it's not reasonable to ask that we be taken seriously. I mean .... we're trying to tell the world that 9' hairy ape men live in our backyards - we just can't see them. How is the world supposed to respond to such an absurd premise? And would you WANT the world to take every similarly whacky idea seriously? What utter chaos that would be!

User avatar
Simon M
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 792
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:36 am
Position: Unsure
Location: South Western Victoria

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Simon M » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm

I think it all boils down to the quality of the evidence, and the way it's presented.

If bozos like J&J continue to peddle their nonsense on TV, then that's what the perception will be. As Hillbilly pointed out, most people accept whatever they see on TV without ever questioning it too deeply. Unless something directly affects their own lives, most people don't give a second thought to even the most serious issues, so Yowies aren't going to be high on their list of priorities.

The hoaxers do more harm than good, that I agree with. There's no way of stopping them so we all have to make sure that - if we find ourselves discussing the issue - we're well informed enough to put forward calm, coherent arguments that support the serious aspects of it. The TV is one thing, and we can't really fight something as abstract, widespread and ephemeral as TV news, but we can all individually make sure - at a personal, grass-roots level - that we present what we know in a reasoned, intelligent way. We don't need to personally go on a crusade to contradict Karl & Koshie, but we can all make sure we know how to put a rational argument to people so that it might make someone stop and think before agreeing with whatever they've been told by the mainstream media.

If you present as a nutcase or a BS artist, then that's what people will perceive. If you're a rational person making a reasoned argument, people will perceive that as well. We can't prove what we believe, but we can make sure people know the facts (such as they are), and present them in a rational way.

It's why I intensely dislike all the quasi-mystical 'explanations' for this stuff. It sounds mental. If you say "there's a history behind all this Yowie stuff..." and relate what you know in a non-committal way without sounding like a zealot you're more likely to get the basic message across to people; that we don't know all we think we know. There are still questions we don't have answers to. Even if all you manage to convince them of is that the TV isn't the fountain of all wisdom, you've probably done a good deed for someone. Just help people learn to think logically and critically and they'll begin to figure things out for themselves.

Bÿrn Jaoél
Approved Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Bÿrn Jaoél » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Funny, I was just thinking on this subject today.
I have been researching various cryptid phenomena for years but I have remained mostly quiet on boards/forums etc.
I have ended up eventually leaving EVERY Facebook page related to cryptid research I have joined. They start of well, usually, with keen, curious, level headed folks exploring ideas , history, anecdote etc... but before too long they dissolve into fluff. Every shadow, every bump in the night, every blurry photo is PROOF. Its nauseating. 95% of this community is its worst enemy.

User avatar
yowiedan
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Position: Field Researcher

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by yowiedan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Bÿrn Jaoél wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Funny, I was just thinking on this subject today.
I have been researching various cryptid phenomena for years but I have remained mostly quiet on boards/forums etc.
I have ended up eventually leaving EVERY Facebook page related to cryptid research I have joined. They start of well, usually, with keen, curious, level headed folks exploring ideas , history, anecdote etc... but before too long they dissolve into fluff. Every shadow, every bump in the night, every blurry photo is PROOF. Its nauseating. 95% of this community is its worst enemy.
That's why my group is on Secret!

Outback lurker
Approved Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 am
Position: Believer
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Outback lurker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:02 am

Just watched the clip and realised that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back!
Wow,outside of comedy satire,I didn't think people like that really existed (eek)

rld
Approved Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by rld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:18 am

I think its pretty safe to say if your story is on Koshie in the mornin/today tonight/a current affair etc, your cred has just been shot in the foot. (death)

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Simon M wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm
I think it all boils down to the quality of the evidence, and the way it's presented.

If bozos like J&J continue to peddle their nonsense on TV, then that's what the perception will be. As Hillbilly pointed out, most people accept whatever they see on TV without ever questioning it too deeply. Unless something directly affects their own lives, most people don't give a second thought to even the most serious issues, so Yowies aren't going to be high on their list of priorities.

The hoaxers do more harm than good, that I agree with. There's no way of stopping them so we all have to make sure that - if we find ourselves discussing the issue - we're well informed enough to put forward calm, coherent arguments that support the serious aspects of it. The TV is one thing, and we can't really fight something as abstract, widespread and ephemeral as TV news, but we can all individually make sure - at a personal, grass-roots level - that we present what we know in a reasoned, intelligent way. We don't need to personally go on a crusade to contradict Karl & Koshie, but we can all make sure we know how to put a rational argument to people so that it might make someone stop and think before agreeing with whatever they've been told by the mainstream media.

If you present as a nutcase or a BS artist, then that's what people will perceive. If you're a rational person making a reasoned argument, people will perceive that as well. We can't prove what we believe, but we can make sure people know the facts (such as they are), and present them in a rational way.

It's why I intensely dislike all the quasi-mystical 'explanations' for this stuff. It sounds mental. If you say "there's a history behind all this Yowie stuff..." and relate what you know in a non-committal way without sounding like a zealot you're more likely to get the basic message across to people; that we don't know all we think we know. There are still questions we don't have answers to. Even if all you manage to convince them of is that the TV isn't the fountain of all wisdom, you've probably done a good deed for someone. Just help people learn to think logically and critically and they'll begin to figure things out for themselves.
Totally agree!

And like you, I'm also horrified every time I see some mystical explanation for why BF isn't showing up on trail cams or whatever. It REALLY gives me the pips, because every time it's done, the field takes another kick in the gut, and all the carefully reasoned logic put forward by non crazy people and non fakers, is set back again.

Having said all that, and harped on about empirical evidence, I'm still personally most swayed by the sheer number and quality of Australian encounter reports. We just don't have anywhere near that many insane people/liars, willing to make complete goats of themselves by telling the world they ran into a giant monkey man on their afternoon stroll. We also don't have anywhere near enough believers (and therefore prone to confirmation bias) to account for them all. I do actually regard this collective evidence as empirical, in the same way that personal testimony can be evidence in a court of law.

inthedark
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am
Position: Unsure
Gender: Not Telling

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by inthedark » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Bÿrn Jaoél wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:33 pm
Funny, I was just thinking on this subject today.
I have been researching various cryptid phenomena for years but I have remained mostly quiet on boards/forums etc.
I have ended up eventually leaving EVERY Facebook page related to cryptid research I have joined. They start of well, usually, with keen, curious, level headed folks exploring ideas , history, anecdote etc... but before too long they dissolve into fluff. Every shadow, every bump in the night, every blurry photo is PROOF. Its nauseating. 95% of this community is its worst enemy.
I would have said 98% (eek) (taz)

User avatar
hillbilly
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:35 am
Position: Believer
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by hillbilly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Does the Today Show have permission to have "YowieHunters" across the screen?

Bluedog
Approved Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Bluedog » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm
They were not mocking and got quite abusive here on this very forum.
These jokers were serious, posting 'mysterious tracks' (emu) and all sorts of c**p. As soon as anyone politely pointed out their 'error', said comments were removed.
Looking back through past posts, threads, such as a"yowie named yurk" it wasn't necessarily jj yowie search being disrespectful, however dubious Jason's claims seem. There certainly wasn't a lot of politeness shown pointing out their errors!

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2071
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Re: JJ Yowie Search

Unread post by Yowie bait » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Bluedog wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 pm
Wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm
They were not mocking and got quite abusive here on this very forum.
These jokers were serious, posting 'mysterious tracks' (emu) and all sorts of c**p. As soon as anyone politely pointed out their 'error', said comments were removed.
Looking back through past posts, threads, such as a"yowie named yurk" it wasn't necessarily jj yowie search being disrespectful, however dubious Jason's claims seem. There certainly wasn't a lot of politeness shown pointing out their errors!
I think Wolf is reffering to j&j on youtube where people are often threatened to have their heads kicked in when they disagree with Jasons findings.
Yowie Bait

Post Reply