Camera

A Think Tank of Techniques and Technology.
hillbilly
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Position: Believer

Camera

Unread post by hillbilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am

I have used day/ night trail cameras for nearly ten years, and gone through a half a dozen of them, and my FLIR scout just this year with no luck. It has been mentioned a million times that they are sensitive to the IR detectors, which I agree with.
I was thinking I might get a camera set on time lapse only. So no infa red detections. Has anybody tried this? My concern is the night flash, which is supposed to be virtually invisible, might be a deterrent.
And, has anyone used Black Flash Cameras?

Pertys80
Silver Status

Re: Camera

Unread post by Pertys80 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

hillbilly wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am
I have used day/ night trail cameras for nearly ten years, and gone through a half a dozen of them, and my FLIR scout just this year with no luck. It has been mentioned a million times that they are sensitive to the IR detectors, which I agree with.
I was thinking I might get a camera set on time lapse only. So no infa red detections. Has anybody tried this? My concern is the night flash, which is supposed to be virtually invisible, might be a deterrent.
And, has anyone used Black Flash Cameras?
I think time lapse has its place for Cryptids, more so than IR trail cams..
I think Rusty222 used plot watchers with some success, maybe insulating them some way from Sound and EMF might help more..(Just as I'm eyeing up this stuff here at work.. lol)
20180904_120627.jpg
I have a 950NM (No Glow) Trail cam, caught nothing extraordinary yet.. I once captured a dog that didn't seem to notice the flash so maybe a little better perhaps..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rusty2
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Rusty2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I think they can see the "no glow/black ir" . I got an unfriendly reaction the first time I deployed them .
The problem is all cameras have eyes/lenses . They know the cameras are watching .
It's documented in a book called Field and Labratory Methods in Primatology , "pointing a big eye at primates can make them uneasy"

hillbilly

Unread post by hillbilly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks. I have some hollow logs which I refused to use as firewood, which I will try to hide camera in. The "no glow" flash will still be visible, but the camera will be less conspicuous.

ripperton

Unread post by ripperton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 am

Ive just discovered that my trail cam is basically useless.
The motion sensor reaction time is sometimes so slow and insensitive
that things can get in and out of the camera scope without triggering the camera.
If you are going to use a camera you would need to have it recording 24/7.
Ive got a series of clips where branches move between one clip and the next.
And a fox slowly moving through the scope simply disappears and does not
re-trigger the camera immediately while its still in scope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hillbilly

Unread post by hillbilly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

There are trail cameras that you can set a time between shots, and alter the sensitivity of the sensors. I have mine set at around 15 seconds between shots, so if there is a fox or wallaby loitering in the area, I wont have lots of shots of the same animal. Sensitivity is set to medium. Its also got a video mode but I usually only take stills, to conserve battery power. 8 aa batteries last a few months.

Dion
Long Time Contributor
Position: Researcher

Unread post by Dion » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am

I posted this up somewhere else but for all you others you may wish to see this Sony's iso capability.

Pretty awesome. (thumb up)

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

MW83
Bronze Status
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Unread post by MW83 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:29 pm

I saw this for sale on the JB hifi website and thought that it would be the ideal camera to attach to a backpack to film whatever is going on behind you:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/camer ... ra/883110/

Searcher
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Searcher » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Dion wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am
I posted this up somewhere else but for all you others you may wish to see this Sony's iso capability.

Pretty awesome. (thumb up)
I'm gobsmacked at the capabilities of that Sony camera!!

It literally turns night into day. (cool) Night stalking Yowies and the likes... BEWARE! The cover of darkness is gone forever.

Dion
Long Time Contributor
Position: Researcher

Unread post by Dion » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Searcher wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 pm
I'm gobsmacked at the capabilities of that Sony camera!!

It literally turns night into day. (cool) Night stalking Yowies and the likes... BEWARE! The cover of darkness is gone forever.
Its pretty awesome Searcher glad you agree.

Now if someone could just invent a game trail camera with those Sony specs and motion detection. #gamechanger
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

Yowie Chaser

Unread post by Yowie Chaser » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 am

Hey guys, Yowie Chaser,

I have an idea about this, i dont have a cam yet because of all the storeys i hear how they dont work.
But i think i have a way to stop any problems of these cameras being detected by Mr hairy.
I want to try it 1st so i wont give away clues on how to do it. but just think of a different way to set it up.
Deep thinking guys dont just go out to your favourite spot wrap a camera around a tree. You will also need some other things.

Good Luck

Yowieman27
Approved Member
Position: Yowie Chaser

Unread post by Yowieman27 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Does anyone think carrying a gopro around would be good for footage and sounds?

Slats
Position: Field Researcher
Facebook Profile Page: https://www.facebook.com/WestOzYowieResearch/

Unread post by Slats » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:05 am

Yowieman27 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 pm
Does anyone think carrying a gopro around would be good for footage and sounds?
Hi Yowieman27
Any camera would be better than no camera. However, something that can zoom and if need be manually focused would be a great advantage. Having said that the likely hood of capturing something is still very low. I've get better "action" when my camera is away in my bag. In relation to sounds, yes having something recording is a great benefit to capture sounds, having something with an external microphone is better as they are more sensitive and can pick up feint sounds a little better.
I use a camcorder to film my expeditions and I also use an audio recorder during my expeditions with a lavelier microphone attached to my backpacks shoulder strap. Not only does it serve as an audio log, I have been able to get sounds from the recording when I've not been filming.

Cheers Slats

AL Pitman
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by AL Pitman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:44 pm

I will not pretend to know squat about cameras but if Yowies identify the lens of a camera as an eye why not try one of those dome type concealment covers as are commonly used in walkways or shopping centres ?
Maybe the hairies won't perceive that as an eye ?????
IF YOU DO NOT LOOK YOU WILL NOT SEE

AL PITMAN

AL Pitman
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by AL Pitman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:46 pm

AL PITMAN

Slats

Unread post by Slats » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Hey Al
Unless you make something, those cameras require a pretty hardcore set up like what Rusty has. They 'big eye' theory is borrowed from primatology and great apes and we are only speculating that it crosses over.
I think it's more avoid the human stuff to be honest there is EMF shielding fabric you can get for cameras even for yourself, but in self funded research it's a cost to potential reward sort of thing.

Cheers Slats

AL Pitman
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by AL Pitman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 am

I understand Slats CHEERS
I know they are there pictures or not .
I think the culture needs some adjustment .
Make the sceptics prove that they don't exist and make them prove that they are not flesh and blood .
What hard evidence can they produce for their claim ??

AL PITMAN

Slats

Unread post by Slats » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am

Haha
Absolutely, I was talking to an interdimensional believer the other day. I said that most of the theoretical physicists believe it would probably be impossible to perceive the higher dimensions they "theorise" about.
Well did I get a long winded answer, that didn't really answer anything.