Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

A Think Tank of Techniques and Technology.
Post Reply
User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon May 15, 2017 4:07 pm

In this age where so many people have dash cams fitted to their cars either for insurance or entertainment purposes (just check out how popular dash cam compilations are on YouTube/Facebook), how many of you have a dash cam fitted and operational every time you go out on the road?

Surely it's only a matter of time before some Yowie footage is captured - or has there already been some submitted for comment with the AYR team?

Night time/early morning seems to be the opportune time for sightings from vehicles, so I'd imagine a setup with superior low-light image capturing capability would be the go.... what are your thoughts and suggestions on this? The cheap Target cam kit I have is next to useless in the dark, but there are a bewildering number of cam kits out there and any recommendations on brands that are good or perhaps ones that should be avoided, might be useful to many who ply the roads frequently in areas of interest.

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I like your thoughts shazz

However I think the chances of capturing something would be low, I only know of a few instances of them walking directly in front of a car,

More than likely they will avoid all lights altogether and either wait for a car to pass or walk off the road before the car has come upon them.

But I agree having a Dash-cam would certainly increase the chances of capturing one.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Yes siree, that's gotta at least be covering one important base, I reckon. Most truckies have cams, wonder what they could report if they knew about this website?

As we all know, you can't usually predict a sighting, but up until recently, I had a two hour commute each way from the Somerset region to Brisbane for work, and I still live in hope of spotting one of our hairy folk. I'm on the road from 5am - 6am in some fairly appealing Yowie territory until I get to the Warrego hwy, and the same of an afternoon from 4 - 5pm (or returning from a Brissie gig at midnight - 2am), so I keep looking! :)

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

Pertys80
Silver Status
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Pertys80 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 am

Can anyone recommend a reputable brand and model?

User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Shazzoir » Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am

Hey Perty
I have a Street Guardian SG9665X and it's simple, easy to mount, take files from, the lot.
This mob on Facebook have them for between $179 - 250 but I bought my second identical dashcam off eBay for $158, so shop around.
The kit: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 292949302/ from the Facebook mob, so you can see what you get.

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

thehairyone
Silver Status
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by thehairyone » Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Shaz, I have one which I only switch on when I am going bush ( not interested in the idiots on the road ) , I got it just for this reason ,
so far only roos n a cpl of deer but the day I don't have it on a hairy will probably put on a show n ill miss it
Cheers Greg

Pertys80
Silver Status
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Pertys80 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 am

Shazzoir wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am
Hey Perty
I have a Street Guardian SG9665X and it's simple, easy to mount, take files from, the lot.
This mob on Facebook have them for between $179 - 250 but I bought my second identical dashcam off eBay for $158, so shop around.
The kit: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 292949302/ from the Facebook mob, so you can see what you get.

Shazz
Thank you Shazz, ill check it out😉

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Searcher » Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm

I remain optimistic that one day (or night) a lucky dashcam owner will capture definitive footage of the hairy man either down under or overseas.

I decided on a Blackvue DR650S-2 CH system which provides simultaneous front and rear camera coverage in full HD. The fully integrated system was not cheap at around $800 for a professional installation. However, I reckon it was well worth it. Not only for it's Yowie hunting potential but also to record the mayhem that constantly surrounds us on our frantic freeways. :shock:

Check out the quality of a still pulled from a moving picture while driving through suburbia. Click and enlarge for full effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Searcher wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm
.... but also to record the mayhem that constantly surrounds us on our frantic freeways. :shock:
Hey Searcher not just freeways but roads in general.

Your above statement would be my main reason for getting one, past by two severe accidents this morning on the central coast and then NEARLY had a red vespa bike (man on a mission/hurry) crash into the back of me as well this morning nearly in the same spot as one of the first two crashes I saw, he fell off the bike but did get up and rode off. I also had another Woman tail gating me this this afternoon while I was doing the speed limit, another person in a hurry.

I did think at the time that Dash-cam footage would be helpful for the unlucky people involved in those crashes especially when it comes to insurance company's.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Searcher wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm
I remain optimistic that one day (or night) a lucky dashcam owner will capture definitive footage of the hairy man either down under or overseas.
A bit like this?

Image
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Searcher » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Dion wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

A bit like this?

Image
Ha Ha, Dion... Yeah, just like that! Love it!

Gotta also love "Harry and the Hendersons". It was a classic! Hope they do a re-make one day.

User avatar
Buck
Team Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am
Position: Yowie Hunter
Location: QLD

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Buck » Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Shazz

I bought a dash cam last Saturday because of that very reason. It was a disappointing result as I wanted to be ready just in case. It didn't record.

Luckily I had also bought a new Go-Pro for the walk I was going to do at Beerwah. For the very same reason, if there was going to be that moment while I was walking, I wanted something on.

So it's back to the drawing board for the dash cam but I have the GoPro now and I just held it out the window on a short pole while I drove along.

I've read too many articles where there was no time to grab a camera for the opportunity when it arose.

However, I am astounded just how a good set of eyes are compared to Go Pro and the iPhone in low light and near darkness. I totally recommend getting some type of continuous recording for travelling to and from research areas. I don't think I could look my somewhat skeptical brothers in the eye and say - 'It ran across the road, right in front of me'

To be fair both brothers have indulged me and travelled to some remote areas at all hours. They are top blokes!

Cheers Buck
Descates- I think therefore I am
Ubuntu (African Proverb) - I am because you are.

User avatar
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:40 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Gender: Female
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Shazzoir » Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Great planning, Buck!

Unfortunately, the cheap dashcams are not really trustworthy, as you may have found. What brand did you get? Return it perhaps and save for a better one. Your insurance company will also thank you, as if you're in a prang, and you are not at fault, the dashcam will save you thousands.

X Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

User avatar
Buck
Team Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am
Position: Yowie Hunter
Location: QLD

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Buck » Thu May 30, 2019 8:39 pm

It was a Kapture. I’m taking it back and will try something else. It was low end $150 mark but it had a sensor that would also record movement around the car while I was away. I thought this was useful as Ray and I had an odd print on the car. It would have provided an answer to the mystery if it was filmed.

I’ll check other models out. This is a great thread Shazz.

Cheers Buck
Descates- I think therefore I am
Ubuntu (African Proverb) - I am because you are.

User avatar
gregvalentine
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Sydney

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by gregvalentine » Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 am

Buck wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:39 pm
It was a Kapture. I’m taking it back and will try something else. It was low end $150 mark but it had a sensor that would also record movement around the car while I was away. I thought this was useful as Ray and I had an odd print on the car. It would have provided an answer to the mystery if it was filmed.

I’ll check other models out. This is a great thread Shazz.

Cheers Buck
I've had one of those for 2-3 years, a KPT-900 DLX which cost $249. Not the biggest and greatest and has too many confusing options that I don't use. Have yet to capture a yowie.

AL Pitman
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm
Position: Field Researcher
Location: Kungala nsw

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by AL Pitman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 am

There was this ??
IF YOU DO NOT LOOK YOU WILL NOT SEE

AL PITMAN

User avatar
gregvalentine
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Sydney

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by gregvalentine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 pm

gregvalentine wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 am

I've had one of those for 2-3 years, a KPT-900 DLX which cost $249. Not the biggest and greatest and has too many confusing options that I don't use. Have yet to capture a yowie.
I also of course have twin machine guns fitted under the headlamps so as I can take one down if I see it . . .

aaq
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by aaq » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:20 pm

AL Pitman wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 am
There was this ??
Hi AL,

Georgia apparently, May 2009 by the look:



On the camera topic, wide angle (120 to 150°) is going to capture the most but there might be some distortion/warping as you go wider.

Garmin 55 looks good for $200-250 but this page might be better for night video.

https://www.drive-safely.net/top-dash-c ... ell-night/

1440 and 30fps would be best, with 32-64GB cards to give hours of recording rather than minutes.

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi there aaq

Welcome to the forums. (thumb up)
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

aaq
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by aaq » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Dion wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi there aaq

Welcome to the forums. (thumb up)
Hi Dion,

Thank-you kindly. Not sure that I can add much, other than curiosity and a general sense of dread.

The most exciting thing I've experienced in the bush at night is a pig, a handful of snakes and some indignant pademelons/wallabies.

But I'm glad we've got these phones and dash cams we do these days - quick to record, great resolution. Only a matter of time. :)

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:30 pm

aaq wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:02 pm
Hi Dion,

Thank-you kindly. Not sure that I can add much, other than curiosity and a general sense of dread.

The most exciting thing I've experienced in the bush at night is a pig, a handful of snakes and some indignant pademelons/wallabies.

But I'm glad we've got these phones and dash cams we do these days - quick to record, great resolution. Only a matter of time. :)
That's ok you don't need a Yowie sighting to be a part of this forum just an open mind will do. :wink:

Agree that technology is increasing rapidly, you might be surprised to know that some people that have a sighting do indeed have cameras on them be it phone or compact etc, but it's the last thing people think of when in a confronting situation like that and I cant blame them.

The likelihood of catching something on dash-cam is a lot greater however, and as you say only a matter of time.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
gregvalentine
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Sydney

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by gregvalentine » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Dion wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:30 pm
The likelihood of catching something on dash-cam is a lot greater however, and as you say only a matter of time.
If you don't drive on non-lit roads at night in relatively forested areas, I would say that the chance of encountering one is reduced IMHO.

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 am

gregvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:35 pm
If you don't drive on non-lit roads at night in relatively forested areas, I would say that the chance of encountering one is reduced IMHO.
You dont have to be on a non-lit road in a relatively forested area to have a sighting, and while the human population grows and sprawls out into other areas, in combination with increased levels of technology being utilised by the average Joe, I think a chance of a sighting captured on Dash-cam would be increased IMHO. :wink:
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
gregvalentine
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Sydney

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by gregvalentine » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Dion wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 am
gregvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:35 pm
If you don't drive on non-lit roads at night in relatively forested areas, I would say that the chance of encountering one is reduced IMHO.
You dont have to be on a non-lit road in a relatively forested area to have a sighting, and while the human population grows and sprawls out into other areas, in combination with increased levels of technology being utilised by the average Joe, I think a chance of a sighting captured on Dash-cam would be increased IMHO. :wink:
I didn't say "never", just "reduced" (in relation to other more populated areas).

Will be travelling Sydney to Coolah Tops NP and then back to Sydney via Hill End beginning from Friday next week and will have mine operating (but won't be driving after dark).

aaq
New Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by aaq » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 pm

gregvalentine wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:52 pm
Dion wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 am
gregvalentine wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:35 pm
If you don't drive on non-lit roads at night in relatively forested areas, I would say that the chance of encountering one is reduced IMHO.
You dont have to be on a non-lit road in a relatively forested area to have a sighting, and while the human population grows and sprawls out into other areas, in combination with increased levels of technology being utilised by the average Joe, I think a chance of a sighting captured on Dash-cam would be increased IMHO. :wink:
I didn't say "never", just "reduced" (in relation to other more populated areas).

Will be travelling Sydney to Coolah Tops NP and then back to Sydney via Hill End beginning from Friday next week and will have mine operating (but won't be driving after dark).
You can always shuffle your schedule to get some driving in outside daylight hours. ;) joking of course...

Which dash cam do you have? I'm looking at getting the Rexing V1.

User avatar
gregvalentine
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:42 pm
Position: Crypto Enthusiast
Location: Sydney

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by gregvalentine » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:30 pm

aaq wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 pm
You can always shuffle your schedule to get some driving in outside daylight hours. ;) joking of course...

Which dash cam do you have? I'm looking at getting the Rexing V1.
Please seem my earlier post (31st May) in this thread. Nothing fancy and not a big screen, but you can save the current recording permanently.

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

Did quite a bit of research into dash cams on the weekend, by visiting dash cam forums and websites and the like.

So thought I would share what I found here.

For those that want good night time shooting with their dash cam, mainly what I was researching, (which is important in this field) I would recommend anything that has the Sony Starvis IMX sensors particularly from about the IMX291 sensors and above.

From reviews the stand out dash cams with the IMX291 sensors were the Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO

Or if you want something a little newer (technology wise) the VIOFO A119 V3 which has the new Sony Starvis IMX335 sensor.

Both have great reviews, there are older VIOFO 119's such as the latter and the V2, but I would always recommend getting the newer technology if one can so it doesnt become obsolete in a few years.

Here is a You-tube clip showing the difference between IMX291 and IMX323 Senors, I could not find a comparison of a IMX335 sensor but believe the are much sharper in detail again from the IMX291 and IMX323 sensors.



This video demonstrates high 30 Mb/s Bitrate, increased Audio, improved WDR using Firmware v1.02 at 2560x1440P resolution 30fps of the VIOFO 119 V3



The stand out for me is the VIOFO 119 V3 Dashcam personally and thats what I would purchase, being newer technology and having only come out in the last month or so its the best that I could find that had great night vision.

The above is only a personal choice of what I found to be the best after a few days researching, there are literally hundreds of dash-cams out there, so with anything....... do your own research.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

User avatar
Dion
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:44 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Passing through the ethereal

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:13 pm

VIOFO Dash cams comparison.

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy

Post Reply