Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

A Think Tank of Techniques and Technology.
Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor
Position: Crypto Enthusiast

Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon May 15, 2017 4:07 pm

In this age where so many people have dash cams fitted to their cars either for insurance or entertainment purposes (just check out how popular dash cam compilations are on YouTube/Facebook), how many of you have a dash cam fitted and operational every time you go out on the road?

Surely it's only a matter of time before some Yowie footage is captured - or has there already been some submitted for comment with the AYR team?

Night time/early morning seems to be the opportune time for sightings from vehicles, so I'd imagine a setup with superior low-light image capturing capability would be the go.... what are your thoughts and suggestions on this? The cheap Target cam kit I have is next to useless in the dark, but there are a bewildering number of cam kits out there and any recommendations on brands that are good or perhaps ones that should be avoided, might be useful to many who ply the roads frequently in areas of interest.

Shazz
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Dr. Carl Sagan

Dion
Long Time Contributor
Position: Researcher

Re: Dash cams - best bet for random encounter recordings?

Unread post by Dion » Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I like your thoughts shazz

However I think the chances of capturing something would be low, I only know of a few instances of them walking directly in front of a car,

More than likely they will avoid all lights altogether and either wait for a car to pass or walk off the road before the car has come upon them.

But I agree having a Dash-cam would certainly increase the chances of capturing one.
“ It is stated because my studies have lead me to think that these creatures could very well be a diluted remnant of the Nephilim. ”- Ron Morehead

User formally known as chewy

Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Shazzoir » Mon May 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Yes siree, that's gotta at least be covering one important base, I reckon. Most truckies have cams, wonder what they could report if they knew about this website?

As we all know, you can't usually predict a sighting, but up until recently, I had a two hour commute each way from the Somerset region to Brisbane for work, and I still live in hope of spotting one of our hairy folk. I'm on the road from 5am - 6am in some fairly appealing Yowie territory until I get to the Warrego hwy, and the same of an afternoon from 4 - 5pm (or returning from a Brissie gig at midnight - 2am), so I keep looking! :)

Shazz

Pertys80
Bronze Status

Unread post by Pertys80 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 am

Can anyone recommend a reputable brand and model?

Shazzoir
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Shazzoir » Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am

Hey Perty
I have a Street Guardian SG9665X and it's simple, easy to mount, take files from, the lot.
This mob on Facebook have them for between $179 - 250 but I bought my second identical dashcam off eBay for $158, so shop around.
The kit: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 292949302/ from the Facebook mob, so you can see what you get.

Shazz

thehairyone
Silver Status

Unread post by thehairyone » Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Shaz, I have one which I only switch on when I am going bush ( not interested in the idiots on the road ) , I got it just for this reason ,
so far only roos n a cpl of deer but the day I don't have it on a hairy will probably put on a show n ill miss it
Cheers Greg

Pertys80
Bronze Status

Unread post by Pertys80 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 am

Shazzoir wrote: ↑
Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am
Hey Perty
I have a Street Guardian SG9665X and it's simple, easy to mount, take files from, the lot.
This mob on Facebook have them for between $179 - 250 but I bought my second identical dashcam off eBay for $158, so shop around.
The kit: https://www.facebook.com/commerce/produ ... 292949302/ from the Facebook mob, so you can see what you get.

Shazz
Thank you Shazz, ill check it out😉

Searcher
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Searcher » Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm

I remain optimistic that one day (or night) a lucky dashcam owner will capture definitive footage of the hairy man either down under or overseas.

I decided on a Blackvue DR650S-2 CH system which provides simultaneous front and rear camera coverage in full HD. The fully integrated system was not cheap at around $800 for a professional installation. However, I reckon it was well worth it. Not only for it's Yowie hunting potential but also to record the mayhem that constantly surrounds us on our frantic freeways. :shock:

Check out the quality of a still pulled from a moving picture while driving through suburbia. Click and enlarge for full effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dion
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Dion » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Searcher wrote: ↑
Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm
.... but also to record the mayhem that constantly surrounds us on our frantic freeways. :shock:
Hey Searcher not just freeways but roads in general.

Your above statement would be my main reason for getting one, past by two severe accidents this morning on the central coast and then NEARLY had a red vespa bike (man on a mission/hurry) crash into the back of me as well this morning nearly in the same spot as one of the first two crashes I saw, he fell off the bike but did get up and rode off. I also had another Woman tail gating me this this afternoon while I was doing the speed limit, another person in a hurry.

I did think at the time that Dash-cam footage would be helpful for the unlucky people involved in those crashes especially when it comes to insurance company's.
“ It is stated because my studies have lead me to think that these creatures could very well be a diluted remnant of the Nephilim. ”- Ron Morehead

Dion
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Dion » Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Searcher wrote: ↑
Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm
I remain optimistic that one day (or night) a lucky dashcam owner will capture definitive footage of the hairy man either down under or overseas.
A bit like this?

Searcher
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Searcher » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Dion wrote: ↑
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

A bit like this?

Ha Ha, Dion... Yeah, just like that! Love it!

Gotta also love "Harry and the Hendersons". It was a classic! Hope they do a re-make one day.