Could MEG have survived?

A topic for sightings and tales regarding all water based creatures from Australia and the World.
Post Reply
User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Searcher » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 am

There's always plenty of UFO reports. An average 600 per month are processed by MUFON. New Yowie and Bigfoot encounters come to light quite regularly. However, giant shark reports are extremely rare and historical accounts are usually the only way of judging whether enormous sharks could still roam the world's oceans.
https://exemplore.com/cryptids/Is-the-M ... till-Alive

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 2487
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm
Position: Believer

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Yowie bait » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks Searcher. Great article there. I voted "yes"!
Yowie Bait

Yowiechow
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Yowiechow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm going to say no. Megalodons were coastal predators that required large mammalian prey to survive. If they were alive, we'd frequently be witnessing them attacking whales and seals, scavenging on whale carcasses (like modern sharks do) and checking out boats (again like modern sharks, who are very curious animals). Also we'd see them coming into conflict with Orcas. One of the theories posited for Megalodons decline and extinction is competition from Orca ancestors. There would literally be no scientifically plausible reason for a Megalodon to become a deep sea shark, if it did start living in trenches and the like, it would have evolved to become smaller and far more adapted and probably look more like a goblin shark than anything else.

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Searcher » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 am

Not a Megalodon, but almost as fascinating!

A huge shark that lives in the freezing waters of the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans has been identified by scientists as the world's oldest living vertebrate.

Nature Journal reports that scientists have concluded that the Greenland shark has a lifespan of at least 272 years.

Read about it here: https://www.9news.com.au/world/greenlan ... 0ab5e29f47

User avatar
AusTy
Approved Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Tarong State Forest | Tarong QLD

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by AusTy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:13 pm

This is a tricky one.
I would lean more towards no based on reasons already stated if it wasn't for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_QyGANCUJI
Check it out, pretty interesting.
Not saying a "Meg" ate the white shark but something huge definitely did.
Awaken your mind to the unknown. (thumb)

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Searcher » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:13 am

AusTy wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:13 pm
This is a tricky one.
I would lean more towards no based on reasons already stated if it wasn't for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_QyGANCUJI
Check it out, pretty interesting.
Not saying a "Meg" ate the white shark but something huge definitely did.
Good post, AusTy. That story is compelling because of all the scientific data on depth and temperature that goes with it. I have watched the full doco a number of times. What took the 3 metre white shark remains a mystery.

The best candidate seems to be a huge great white. As detailed elsewhere, I have spoken to a professional fisherman who had regularly seen a 32 foot great white called 'Big Ben' in waters off southern Australia. Anecdotal? Yes, but the man was a friend of my father's and this monster shark was well known among the entire fishing community back in the 1970's. That's why it had a name.

Another possibility is a 25 metre plesiosaur. Unlike Meg, there have been many incredible reports of such animals off Australian waters. More details here:
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5104

User avatar
AusTy
Approved Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Tarong State Forest | Tarong QLD

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by AusTy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Yes i have heard stories of big ben and also 7+ metre great whites off of the coast of South Africa & seeing videos of them blew my mind! hadn't put much thought into it being a plesiosaur but i'd never rule it out.
As i'm sure you already know, humans have only explored 5% of the ocean and the other 95% is left a mystery as of now.
Imagine what is still out there waiting to be discovered and as they say "There is always a bigger fish".
Awaken your mind to the unknown. (thumb)

User avatar
AusTy
Approved Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Position: Researcher
Location: Tarong State Forest | Tarong QLD

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by AusTy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Sorry mate, forgot to say Thank you. Great post by you also & cheers for the link, some great info there that i had never read before! (thumb up)
Awaken your mind to the unknown. (thumb)

User avatar
Searcher
Long Time Contributor
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Re: Could MEG have survived?

Unread post by Searcher » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 am

AusTy wrote:
Yes i have heard stories of big ben and also 7+ metre great whites off of the coast of South Africa & seeing videos of them blew my mind! hadn't put much thought into it being a plesiosaur but i'd never rule it out.
As i'm sure you already know, humans have only explored 5% of the ocean and the other 95% is left a mystery as of now.
Imagine what is still out there waiting to be discovered and as they say "There is always a bigger fish".

Just a bit more about what I know of Big Ben.

Port Fairy is a small coastal town in western Victoria. The population is about 3,500 but that number would easily double or even triple during holiday season. It was originally a whaling station, established in 1835. There were not only whales in this fertile fishing ground, but many monster sharks as well.

The fishing boat wharf at Port Fairy is built on the picturesque Moyne river, situated just around the corner from the main street. The fishermen only have to motor a short distance to the mouth of the river and then go straight out to sea. I have been on board a number of times. The wharf is a great place to buy fresh seafood, either directly off the boats or at the wharf’s fish shop. Over the years, I can attest to feasting on many large and very fresh crayfish from the local fishing fleet. Also enjoyed many a seafood counter lunch at the historic Caledonian Hotel which was built in 1844 and claims to be the oldest continuously operating hotel licence in the same hotel building, in Victoria.

Lady Julia Percy Island is about 20 kilometres south west of Port Fairy. It is a fur seal breeding colony that provides a rich and inexhaustible food source for any great white sharks hunting in the area. Unlimited nourishment is a good way to grow big!

Way back in 1860 a Great White Shark reportedly measured at 11 meters (37 feet) long was caught of Port Fairy. The Jaws of this Shark can be found at the Natural History Museum in London. That beast makes the 25 foot star of the movie Jaws seem like a tiddler! Modern day experts have since denounced the claimed size as a ‘typographical error’, which is quite possible.

However, there have been similar size sharks seen off South Africa and I have personally spoken to a Port Fairy fisherman who was a family friend and has seen Big Ben and said it was bigger than his 30 foot fishing boat when it swam alongside. He estimated the length as 32 feet. He also said the fisherman had considered shooting it with the .303 rifles they always carried with them but apparently they never did as I clearly remember he said: 'those magnificent jaws would just sink to the bottom'.

An article from the local daily newspaper in 1977 is quite interesting. A Port Fairy fisherman, Reuben Kelly and his crew were fishing for snapper sharks off Lady Julia Percy Island when Big Ben kept stealing their catch. One of the crew drove a gaff into the shark to try and get rid of him but it didn’t work and the huge shark turned nasty, grabbing the boat by the rudder and shaking it ‘like a match’!

It’s not hard to rationalise that certain individuals grow larger than normal. Look at humans and the tallest ever man Robert Wadlow who was 8 foot 11 inches tall!! For the sake of argument, I’ll assume there are similar variations in the animal kingdom. Now where is that 50 foot long giant snake?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply