Camera

A Think Tank of Techniques and Technology.
hillbilly
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
Position: Believer

Camera

Unread post by hillbilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am

I have used day/ night trail cameras for nearly ten years, and gone through a half a dozen of them, and my FLIR scout just this year with no luck. It has been mentioned a million times that they are sensitive to the IR detectors, which I agree with.
I was thinking I might get a camera set on time lapse only. So no infa red detections. Has anybody tried this? My concern is the night flash, which is supposed to be virtually invisible, might be a deterrent.
And, has anyone used Black Flash Cameras?

Pertys80
Bronze Status

Re: Camera

Unread post by Pertys80 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

hillbilly wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am
I have used day/ night trail cameras for nearly ten years, and gone through a half a dozen of them, and my FLIR scout just this year with no luck. It has been mentioned a million times that they are sensitive to the IR detectors, which I agree with.
I was thinking I might get a camera set on time lapse only. So no infa red detections. Has anybody tried this? My concern is the night flash, which is supposed to be virtually invisible, might be a deterrent.
And, has anyone used Black Flash Cameras?
I think time lapse has its place for Cryptids, more so than IR trail cams..
I think Rusty222 used plot watchers with some success, maybe insulating them some way from Sound and EMF might help more..(Just as I'm eyeing up this stuff here at work.. lol)
20180904_120627.jpg
I have a 950NM (No Glow) Trail cam, caught nothing extraordinary yet.. I once captured a dog that didn't seem to notice the flash so maybe a little better perhaps..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rusty2
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Rusty2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I think they can see the "no glow/black ir" . I got an unfriendly reaction the first time I deployed them .
The problem is all cameras have eyes/lenses . They know the cameras are watching .
It's documented in a book called Field and Labratory Methods in Primatology , "pointing a big eye at primates can make them uneasy"

hillbilly

Unread post by hillbilly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks. I have some hollow logs which I refused to use as firewood, which I will try to hide camera in. The "no glow" flash will still be visible, but the camera will be less conspicuous.

ripperton
Silver Status

Unread post by ripperton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 am

Ive just discovered that my trail cam is basically useless.
The motion sensor reaction time is sometimes so slow and insensitive
that things can get in and out of the camera scope without triggering the camera.
If you are going to use a camera you would need to have it recording 24/7.
Ive got a series of clips where branches move between one clip and the next.
And a fox slowly moving through the scope simply disappears and does not
re-trigger the camera immediately while its still in scope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hillbilly

Unread post by hillbilly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

There are trail cameras that you can set a time between shots, and alter the sensitivity of the sensors. I have mine set at around 15 seconds between shots, so if there is a fox or wallaby loitering in the area, I wont have lots of shots of the same animal. Sensitivity is set to medium. Its also got a video mode but I usually only take stills, to conserve battery power. 8 aa batteries last a few months.

Dion
Long Time Contributor
Position: Researcher

Unread post by Dion » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am

I posted this up somewhere else but for all you others you may wish to see this Sony's iso capability.

Pretty awesome. (thumb up)

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla

User formally known as chewy